Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gasket Again!!!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
rattattack1313 said:
Have a goood read of the manual, if you have one........make sure everything is kept clean..........look for a ridge in the top of the bore, if a large ridge is present, it needs a hone-out........make sure all the old gasket is off both surfaces.....and while the head is off, get it checked, make sure it isn't warped.......and look carefully atr where th hasket is blown....has it burnt a lot of metal on the head/block???? hope not...usually this is a prob if you have driven it for ages and ages with it blown............hope this is a little help..... :thumbsup:

All good tips - also, check that the head is not cracked. I'd be suprised it it isn't (even slightly) warped and needs to be machined again. Also, be careful when replacing the coolant. VL's cooling system needs to be bled from the top of the engine - read & follow the proceedure in the shop manual.

You need to find why the gasikit blew so quickly otherwise you will be back here again in a few days & out the $$$ for another gaskit!.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
markiuliano said:
i havnt got it tested yet.. probably gonna take a look tonight to see if i can find the reason that this heap of **** keeps bringin me headaches..! wot do u rekn the odds are of it jus being the head gasket? 1000 to 1? lol. also if it is the head again, do u rekn it would be better to put the nissan motor in2 my VL, apparently the heads don't go on them..?

It's more the location of the rad compared to the motor more than the motor itself. Nissan motors will have exactly the same problem. If the radiator sat higher VL's would have far less dramas but they would have a hole in their bonnets :)

Reaper

My Car Pwns

16 Mths Suspended Lisence
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fully Sick Push Bike Uleh!
jus spoke to the mechanics today... its gonna be roughly 1200.. not sure exactly wot hes gonna do if hes gonna machine the head or replace it with a new reconditioned one or what.. but the 12 months warranty is still there.. the car got towed to the workshop this morning and should hopefully have it back monday nite... have you's all got vls? if so how come no one elses head is fkn up? is there something i can do or buy or something? coz i need my car for work n i cant have it stuffing up on me once a month? it will be under warranty but it still a week w/out a car if it hapens agen...
maybe another fan? bigger radiator? i dunno lol....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
markiuliano said:
jus spoke to the mechanics today... its gonna be roughly 1200.. not sure exactly wot hes gonna do if hes gonna machine the head or replace it with a new reconditioned one or what.. but the 12 months warranty is still there.. the car got towed to the workshop this morning and should hopefully have it back monday nite... have you's all got vls? if so how come no one elses head is fkn up? is there something i can do or buy or something? coz i need my car for work n i cant have it stuffing up on me once a month? it will be under warranty but it still a week w/out a car if it hapens agen...
maybe another fan? bigger radiator? i dunno lol....

Nope - my father had one whenever they came out + a few friends have had them over the years. VYII SS Man here.

Reaper

My Car Pwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey jus got my baby back yesterday... the head had already been repaired and he got it repaired again... :s its costin 900 w/ 12 months warranty.. its runnin beautifull.......

pj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
If you've done a head gasket, you must get the head machined. How's the radiator, have you had it done, to me it appears it's been cooked.

My Car Pwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
i got the head machined too.. it was a bit warped at the back.. the radiator is fine he rekns i jus bought a fkd up engine xD

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
just a dumb ass question. how much is it to fix a blown head?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
markiuliano said:
hey jus got my baby back yesterday... the head had already been repaired and he got it repaired again... :s its costin 900 w/ 12 months warranty.. its runnin beautifull.......

Re-read the thread mate, its mentioned a few times but this is the first figure I saw. Probably cheaper or dearer, depends where you go.

My Car Pwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
to fix a blown head? that depends.. if theres a blown head.. chances are something else will need fixing too.. like i said i got mine done for $900 final figure.. that was repairing a blown head, machining.. head gasket, and a few other lil bits n pieces... + 12 months warranty..