Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gasket?

Titch05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I have a VS Commodore 3.8 that over heated due to a blown radiator hose. The engine runs but it very noisy. There are metal filing in the radiator. Checked the compression and the two centre cylinder have low compression (60). Does this mean the head gasket has blown? Any ideal where the metal filing would be coming from? Does this sound repairable or do I get a secondhand engine.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Maybe the piston rings are blown? But that would leave oil too... Wouldnt it?
Dunno...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thats not good .It could be a cracked or burned valve,cracked head or cylinder block, a cracked piston,broken rings,blown head gasket,although I cant see how the metal filings in the radiator would get there if it was just a head gasket.Your gonna have to pull the heads etc off the engine to see exactly how much damage has been done.If you are going to do the work yourself,buy a Gregorys workshop manual,its all step by step.You cant go wrong.Well worth the money and pays for itself in no time.I wouldnt do any major stuff to my car without one.Let us know what you find out. Cheers

Last edited:

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
I've seen a couple of times that metal filings in the radiator can be the water pump on the way out and breaking down.

Titch05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Thanks for the responses - The water pump is not very old but I tried removing the drive belt and the water pumps seem to turn freely so I'm not sure if it's the cause of the metal filing. Would a blown head gasket result in low compression in both centre cylinders? is the gasket somehow connected to both sides of the V? Sounds like a big job to replace so I'm not sure I'm capable of doing this.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd just get another 2nd hand engine without accessories from a wrecker or private - should be no more than $400 and save a lot of hassles.