Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head suggestions for 402

seb402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1 tonne
i was thinking buying some heads off a 454 BB ... not sure on valve size or if they even fit but yer... anyother suggestions?

402 chevy.. not pontiac

Last edited:

seb402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1 tonne
i know this... ive seen many big blocks in commodores tho.. not everyone has a 5lt or LS1

or a.... V6

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
big block chevs r awesome all commodores should of come starndard with them!!! what heads do u have now? if they r oval port with the small combustin chambers mite be worth giving them a bit of porting! the problem with 454 heads they will have bigger combustion chambers and u will loose alot of compression! u realy to know what u have and what u r looking at! find out there part nimbers and do a bit of googling

seb402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1 tonne
ive seen a few vb-vh-vk with 454's .. all the newer cars like vy would just twist...

i have the standard 402 heads atm.. i definantly dont want to loose compression!. thanks for that vyjess.

im just starting to learn about BB's abit more.. so ide love some good info

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i was under the impression that 454+commodore=no registration. i guess that is only the ol' girls cos the new bommodores have 427's.

anyways if you are serious about getting power out of a bbc you need to decide on what power you want to make and how. runner sizes on the heads is critical. no point just going out and buying something that will "guaranteed +50% dyno proven power" if it doesnt match your cam/compression ratio etc

i will ask my housemate tonight about what he has for his 454 and see if he can shed a bit more light on the subject.

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
have alook under the rocker covers and find a part number and let me know and i can find out what heads u have! sum 402s had he the same head as a 454 depend on the year!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
i know this... ive seen many big blocks in commodores tho.. not everyone has a 5lt or LS1

or a.... V6

I reckon the amount of Big Block Chev Commodores around, you could count on one hand. The other thing you could count on one hand is the amount of people on this site who would know anything about Big Block Chevs. :p

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
yeah and its fairly easy to work out the people who know nothing!