Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights allways ON.. How do I turn them off?

VWSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon
Hi,
My wife has a '08 SV6 wagon, and the headlights are constantly on....and it's starting to annoy the crap out of me....
She rang holden and they told her that it is because the car is an ex telstra car, and they had all their cars wired to run the headlights all the time?? BUT they can fix it for $120.
Does this sound right? I would have thought that it might just be a couple tweeks with the settings on the dash?
Is there a simple way I can fix this myself?? or should I just spend the money?

Thanks!

dwayno80

Reaction score
Members Ride
dumped vk 202 efi calais mok-up.
it shouldnt be too hard to find where theyve wired it to full time on.... id pull out the on /off swith. it should just pop out. they have a clip on each side ithink.. check that part first... id say thats where they would do it... easy to fix... if not there id follow ya light cables back to fuse box.. u will find where theyve taped up their connections... i personally wouldnt pay for them to fix it... but if ya dont have time and got spare cash then yeh thats a fair cost..(aslong as they dont go overcharging) lol

VWSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon
Thanks for that. I'll try to get the switch out and see if thay have done anything there.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Its not wiring, its software. The BCM has to be reprogrammed in order to turn off the daytime running light feature.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Hi,
She rang holden and they told her that it is because the car is an ex telstra car, and they had all their cars wired to run the headlights all the time

Depending on where you purchased the car from. Regardless of being an ex telstra car the software should have been returned to factory standard before being sold by a licenced motor dealer. It's like buying an ex Police vehicle, they are returned to factory spec before sale. Additional wiring looms/batteries are removed / overhead interior light panel with switching is changed to standard (they remove the one which has the stealth button in the middle) and programming of no standard settings is changed. At least they do that here to AFP cars before going to auction.

If you purchased it from a Holden dealer I would be insisting they change the BCM software back to factory standard free of charge to you..

iUte

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute 328RWkW 3.9 LSD Rip Shifter
I had a VT commodore that was an ex telstra car that always had the lights on, but i'm not sure if it was done the same way in the VT (the VT was probably hardwired to stay on when the switch is in the off position). The VE uses a processor and canbus system throughout the vehicle, so the programming and software play a bigger part in how features work, rather than hardwire the switch, it can just be programmed to stay on.

Ask your delaer if you aren't sure or talk to RiCey, but dont go cuting and modifying any wiring (you'll just make a mess of your switch wiring for no reason).

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Depending on where you purchased the car from. Regardless of being an ex telstra car the software should have been returned to factory standard before being sold by a licenced motor dealer. It's like buying an ex Police vehicle, they are returned to factory spec before sale. Additional wiring looms/batteries are removed / overhead interior light panel with switching is changed to standard (they remove the one which has the stealth button in the middle) and programming of no standard settings is changed. At least they do that here to AFP cars before going to auction.

If you purchased it from a Holden dealer I would be insisting they change the BCM software back to factory standard free of charge to you..

Problem is if he didnt purchase from a Holden dealer he'll be hard pressed to find one that will reprogram for free. Even if it was bought from one the DRL feature wouldnt be considered a negative feature requiring rectifying for free even if it is annoying to the OP.

That being said theres no harm in trying for a free fix.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Regardless of being an ex telstra car the software should have been returned to factory standard before being sold by a licenced motor dealer.

i think ex telstra cars go straight to auction,brother bought a hiace and telstra don't even remove/reuse the internal racking and roof racks.

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
Why do Telstra cars need lights always on does anyone know?