Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights stuck on???

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Hey guys,

Had an issue tonight, came back to my car after going out with some mates, and realised my headlights were still on.
Not parkers, not foggies, not highs, just my dipped beams.
Anyway, unlocked the car, thought I might have left them on (doesn't explain parkers being off though), nope, switch is at auto, which kills them after 5 or so seconds.
Anyway, got in the car, started flicking the dial between off, parkers, headlights and auto, and they wouldn't turn off.
Anyway, drove a mate home, in the way, flicked dial off, and they turned off - all ok.
Driving back to mine, tried again, this time they wouldn't turn off?
Just parked at home and they're finally off.

Not as if it's a huge issue, but if I park at work for 9 hours with them on, I'm gonna have a flat battery..

Where should I start looking? Faulty relay?
Can someone with WL/VZ wiring knowledge let me know that if it was a short of the switch, would the parkers also stay on? Because if it's just the relay that's good, won't have to start ripping my dash apart.

On a side note, I do have xenons, but then again, they each have their own ballast, so I don't think they're to blame because they're both constantly on.

Thanks guys

gendi

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SVZ Wagon
actually had similar happen to my svz wagon, lights on auto locked the car came back later and light still on started car, turn it off locked it and they went off, only happened twice in over 1 year of ownership. sorry not any help but your not alone

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Often when 'strange things happen' with modern cars, disconnecting the battery for 10 - 15 minutes is often sufficient to reset 'computers' that are used to control so many vehicle components. Can't do any harm, won't cost you anything. Good luck.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
I had the same thing happen a couple of times to - its quite strange lol.

I fixed it by disconnecting the battery the same as Benboy.

Cheers

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
So shouldn't be thinking along the lines of a faulty relay?
I'd assume that the headlights are controlled by the BCM then?

I mean, my last car was my VP, the switch actually made an electrical connection which changed the NO relay to closed, turning the headlights on, the only way that it would make sense that they stay on when I turn the switch to off is either a short, or the BCM controlling the headlight relay, and screwing up

Hasn't happened again tonight though.
I think I'll pay the $12 for a replacement relay, I know it has 300,000 cycles in its life, but then again the Xenons would be drawing far more than the 16A it's rated for..

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Had this happen in the VX twice. Pretty sure it was the headlight switch doing it as a couple of flicks back and forth fixed it.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Well, I've ruled out both the switch and the relay.
It happened again last night, so I ripped out the relay and they were STILL ON!!?!!
So, it must be a short somewhere after the relay.

Are the headlights negatively switched or positive switched!

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
So, my understanding so far.
Cannot be headlight switch, as turning it to on/off/auto controls all lights but the headlights won't 'listen'. The relay is clicking on and off, so I don't think it's the headlight switch.
It's also not the relay or anything prior to the relay, because ripping the relay out, the headlights are still on.

Can't find a VZ wiring diagram, but found a VT one. As I can see, the relay closes and completes the negative connection to the headlights.
If someone can confirm this, I won't be so wary about ripping apart my fuse box to find a possible shorted negative wire.
I'd blame it on my HID ballasts, but they're independent of each other, the likeliness they're both shorting themselves, and at the exact same times each time is too unlikely

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Mines becoming more frequent

Slamming the bonnet seems to stop it sometimes.
I need to know though, is the relay a negative closing switch, or positive closing switch?
Or can someone provide me a diagram