Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

headlining questions

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Only difference can think of as mentioned is mirror section.

As for roofliner the go is to remove all traces of foam completely clean roofliner board then stick fabric to that no foam as that is what disintegrates on factory items...

First roofliner did myself....after that gladly let trimmers do the job for every vn-s lol

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
You can put headlining from VR. Just compare handles you may have to cut out extra handle position and you may need to cut out mirror position but easy done.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks again everyone for your responses. I've had a closer look around the mirror mount and can't see that as a problem other than working out where to make the hole(s) for mounting the rear view mirror. I'm assuming the handles will be in exactly the same spots. It's a VS headlining I've picked up, not a VR.
Any info on the clips that help to hold it up to the roof?

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Tried for clips at GM 7 years ago but not available. Didn't use any. They are just a small square velcro thing. Suppose one could make something like that easy enough say with double sided tape and velcro.

theburna57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute V6
We had a local guy do the VS ute for $140. He says the best thing we did was change the door seals for the proper rubbers. It all fits like a glove now and looks really neat.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The VS roof liner might have the outline for the mirror pressed into it.

When I redid the liner in my VP, I added extra insulation to the roof. The roof had a dull thud. Didn’t heat up to fast in summer either.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
the VS roof liner does seem to be the same shape around the mirror mount area as the VP although it is not marked in any way so I am confident it will fit correctly. I guess I should measure the handle positions just to be safe but I'm sure they'll match up.
The VS uses velcro in the 5 mounting points across the roof and the velcro is glued to plastic clips that fit into a channel in the roof reinforcements. I can't remember if that's exactly the same on the VP

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s the same. Same handles, same roof panels. My 93 VP had the Velcro clips.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
When I redid the liner in my VP, I added extra insulation to the roof. The roof had a dull thud. Didn’t heat up to fast in summer either.
Thanks Fu.
I've got 3 clips which I hope will hold so I'd like to score a couple more. Otherwise the roof sags behind the light in particular. The VS liner has a couple of sections of pretty thick deadener/insulation. I don't remember that being on the VN headliner I put in about 7 years ago. I guess that's the sort of up-grade that GM made over time. There was also some deadener behind the pillar covers on the VS which are not there on my VP Executive.
What material did you use as extra insulation and did that impact on the clips and velcro holding the liner up in place?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I used carpet underlay, then 10mm foam, then a layer of carpet under lay. Then wadding insulation on top.
Thats been in the last few cars.

In my VP ute, I used closed cell foil insulation, wadding insulation and felt carpet underlay. The roof had a dull thud to it, rather than a hollow tinny sound.