Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headunit removal with photos....

SchMicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm Ute
Hi Guy's, there seems to be quite a few people here that seem to have suffered the same fate as I when upgrading the stereo in your VF, that is: installing an amplifier, also amplifies the indicators and warning sounds... very annoying. So I thought I should share with you what I did to overcome the issue:

As you are aware you will need to use line level convertors (Line output converter LOC) to connect the speaker lines to the RCA inputs of the amplifier, in my case I needed 3 sets as in my ute I have installed front, rear and dual subwoofers. (I originally used passive LOC but found they were noisy and the audio quality was very poor or muddy, I switched to active LOC and found it to be a much better option and provided me with a lot more control over the whole system)
The head unit sends the indicator and warning sounds to the front right and centre speaker ( I did not have a centre speaker installed in my ute)
I connected all three inputs (front, rear and subs) to the rear speaker output, this means I can't use the fade function on the head unit but I can still tune the fade using the level setting on the amps, one the system is tuned I really don't need to adjust it on the fly anyhow, you will still have balance control though the head unit.
Doing this alone means that you will have no indicator sounds at all, so I purchased the BOSE centre speaker $70 and connected this directly to the right front speaker out direct to the head unit, this gives me the audio for indicators, gps, siri and phone conversations but it is not amplified by the aftermarket amps, also I can run the fade control on the head unit to full rear and then the centre speaker will not play any music, but it will still play all warning and turn signals at the factory default volume.

I hope this helps you guys, I know you are sacrificing the fade control but you are overcoming what I feel is a much greater issue

markmack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi Guy's, there seems to be quite a few people here that seem to have suffered the same fate as I when upgrading the stereo in your VF, that is: installing an amplifier, also amplifies the indicators and warning sounds... very annoying. So I thought I should share with you what I did to overcome the issue:

As you are aware you will need to use line level convertors (Line output converter LOC) to connect the speaker lines to the RCA inputs of the amplifier, in my case I needed 3 sets as in my ute I have installed front, rear and dual subwoofers. (I originally used passive LOC but found they were noisy and the audio quality was very poor or muddy, I switched to active LOC and found it to be a much better option and provided me with a lot more control over the whole system)
The head unit sends the indicator and warning sounds to the front right and centre speaker ( I did not have a centre speaker installed in my ute)
I connected all three inputs (front, rear and subs) to the rear speaker output, this means I can't use the fade function on the head unit but I can still tune the fade using the level setting on the amps, one the system is tuned I really don't need to adjust it on the fly anyhow, you will still have balance control though the head unit.
Doing this alone means that you will have no indicator sounds at all, so I purchased the BOSE centre speaker $70 and connected this directly to the right front speaker out direct to the head unit, this gives me the audio for indicators, gps, siri and phone conversations but it is not amplified by the aftermarket amps, also I can run the fade control on the head unit to full rear and then the centre speaker will not play any music, but it will still play all warning and turn signals at the factory default volume.

I hope this helps you guys, I know you are sacrificing the fade control but you are overcoming what I feel is a much greater issue

I have 3 amps running front and rear door speakers, a sub and the parcel shelf 6 x 9's. But I have found that the warning sounds are going to both front and rear door speakers. (left and right as well) I'm not sure about the 6 x 9's as I'm almost going deaf by this stage with the front parking sensors on whilst parked in my garage. So frustrating that there is no "fix" available yet. Where do I get more info about the cruze patch lead. Does anyone know who makes it?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Not sure yet. Almost need to get Phreddy onto the case. Its not a case of intercepting an audio signal... need to intercept a serial communication.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
I have 3 amps running front and rear door speakers, a sub and the parcel shelf 6 x 9's. But I have found that the warning sounds are going to both front and rear door speakers. (left and right as well) I'm not sure about the 6 x 9's as I'm almost going deaf by this stage with the front parking sensors on whilst parked in my garage. So frustrating that there is no "fix" available yet. Where do I get more info about the cruze patch lead. Does anyone know who makes it?

The VF does not have 6 x 9's. Only subs in the parcel shelf for certain models unless you have done some cutting and modifications!

markmack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
The VF does not have 6 x 9's. Only subs in the parcel shelf for certain models unless you have done some cutting and modifications!

The 6x9's were aftermarket. No cutting necessary as I think the holes were already cut out with just a spot welded cover over the holes. I got them installed so cant remember 100%.

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Can anyone please confirm this for me? Either from what they've seen at the back of their head deck or from the amp itself?

Left Low Level: green - green/black
Right Low Level: white - blue/black
Remote Turn On: green/yellow

vf_plug_wiring_2.jpg

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
great guide on the head unit.

I am planning to put in some new front speakers this weekend. does anyone know how to put in the new tweeters.

They are in the a-piller on the vf. And they were in the dash on the ve. Do I have to pull apart the whole dash to access the a-pillar location?

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
great guide on the head unit.

I am planning to put in some new front speakers this weekend. does anyone know how to put in the new tweeters.

They are in the a-piller on the vf. And they were in the dash on the ve. Do I have to pull apart the whole dash to access the a-pillar location?

Try this:

Screenshot%202015-02-17%2009.35.51.png

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
Try this:

Thanks. that should save me a lot of time. do you think replace means i can just put the clip back together or I will need to head down to holden and get a couple more?

now to figure out if my car (sv6) has the SIR system.

DjBrenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf CalaisV 3.6 & 2017 SSVR Auto
Thanks. that should save me a lot of time. do you think replace means i can just put the clip back together or I will need to head down to holden and get a couple more?

now to figure out if my car (sv6) has the SIR system.

SIR is the airbags. Yes you have it , so disconnect your battery ( which you would do any way since your working on something electrical).

Not sure on the clips though , might have something to do with the airbag but only guessing.