Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headunit removal with photos....

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
Thanks. Have Slow Internet. The workshop manual is still downloading.

GJ227

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV Clubsport 6.2 M6
great guide for the headunit, do have any idea how I get the gear boot off the VF, its a manual please?

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
great job

i am so glad I am 60 and enjoy a standard radio a lot of work just to destroy your ears when you get older

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
hey mate sorry for digging this up. I have a 2014 VF SSV Redline and i also got brand new 1200w mb quart mono block at home was hoping to hook it up to the sub i have aswell. (they were planned to go into my vu ss but that can wait). Question is can i hook that amp up to the standard amp wiring and if so how? or do i need to purchase something smaller. the flashy bose system is quite average really.
Cheers mate

GJ227

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HSV Clubsport 6.2 M6
How to access the speaker wires and any other wires at the back of the headunit. I will add pinout when I get a chance...

First, always approach said beast with caution... sudden movements will startle it...

Then admire the prettyness... actually I think it looks horrid but no one ever listens to me.

Now open the glove box and get your fingers under the trim. Feel for the clips and apply outward presure on either side of each one. The VE had brittle trim... these feel worse.

Remove the trim from either side of the hazard switch. This will then reveal your first two bolts (please note, I said bolts not screws.) Use a 7mm to remove them both.

Pulling gently but firmly (interpret that how you want) start at lower bottom corners and work your way up and around the screen and vents. You may use panel removal wedges or fingers. After 15 years of doing this... my fingers grip anything! Remove the screen and vent assembly after disconnecting the three plugs. Now attack the the two bolts pointed out below... At the bottom of this assembly is two plastic clips they'll come free as you pull the HVAC controls outwards.

Undo this plug... you can also see the two clips previously mentioned.

This is the main unit... another four 7mm bolts and out she comes. I suggest laying a cloth down over the front half of the centre console at this point otherwise you may scratch the plastic on the console

Here is the offending plug... looks similar to the Fakra connector on the VE but is in fact quite different. It's the same plug on the Cruze.

Questions? I'm hopeless at guides lol

do you need to take all of the head unit and hvac out to get the gear stick boot off?

And3wz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF
Thanks heaps for shareing this!

Any chance anyone know wat colour is the center speaker behind the head unit, i got the Sv6 and it doesn't have a center speaker im trying to install one my self but i dont know wat colour wire it is......

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Reading this thread, if I wanted to simply upgrade the sub amp and the two parcel shelf subs in my SSV Redline (MY16), but leave the rest of the speakers standard for now, I shouldn't get any issues with the louder turn signal sound etc?

I noticed the wires in the OP were the same colour for the rear speakers and the sub... does this mean that basically the subs are just getting the same signal as the rear speakers and its not a true sub output from the head unit?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Reading this thread, if I wanted to simply upgrade the sub amp and the two parcel shelf subs in my SSV Redline (MY16), but leave the rest of the speakers standard for now, I shouldn't get any issues with the louder turn signal sound etc?

I noticed the wires in the OP were the same colour for the rear speakers and the sub... does this mean that basically the subs are just getting the same signal as the rear speakers and its not a true sub output from the head unit?
You won't get the indicator sounds thru the sub. I added a sub in my Calais and the bass is much better with my own sub. I also left the rears connected so I have three subs working.

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
Adza75 - yes I think it is just the same signal as the rear speakers. I dont think upgrading the amp & parcel shelf subs will make a huge difference, as the subs don't have a sealed box. I put an extra amp and 12" Sub in the boot. and that makes a big difference. If you dont want the sub taking up boot space, I have seen some custom boxes on ebay, that replace the trim on the side of the boot

oz_trucker84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS V L76
with the factory amp in a 14 Calais V. How do I hook up a second amp to get the signals from the factory amp? obviously the new amp has RCA plugs and from the pictures I have seen in this thread the factory amp has just normal wires? Do I hook up power and negative direct to battery with decent fuse as you would normally do in a amp installation?