Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headunit works, no sound. HELP!

Pascawali

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
Hey guys,
My mate has recently bought a new car, head unit was 'apparently' working before he purchased it and there was sound.
Now, after he got it, the speakers dont put out any sound at all, yet the headunit lights up and works perfectly.
Along with this, the antenna doesnt go up either, yet the headunit finds the channels (suspicious!)
Sooo...my problem is, why the f*** isnt my headunit putting out any sound?
I have tried disconnecting each speaker one at a time to see if it was a wire grounding problem, and it came back neg.
So then I thought perhaps it was the ground wire itself so I disconnected it from the loom and put it against the metal chassis and still no luck?
Then...I tried rewiring each of the speaker cables from behind the headunit just as a last resort...still no luck?
Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
what car? what headunit?

disconnect all the speakers, and hook them up and test one at a time. theres possibly a speaker shorting to ground, and/or it has fried the amp inside the unit.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Most likely a blown output by the sounds of it. If it is, it's repairable, by not really reccomended unless it's a fairly decent unit.

By the sounds of things it's been swapped between a few cars. A dodgy install / removal could be the cause of the problem.

Before i bin it i would take a chance and check the speaker connection wires at the back of the ISO plug, it's possible, all though highly unlikely, that each of the wires has been knocked loose.

Pascawali

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
Itss a VS Berlina and the headunit is pioneer DEH-2050 Mpg
As for the speaker testing I already did that...I did it one by one, disconnected each speaker separately to see if the other speakers would work.
Unless two of them are shorting to ground then I dont think that would be the problem.
Plus the person who wired it originally did a fair bloody good job if I may say so.

Pascawali

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
Most likely a blown output by the sounds of it. If it is, it's repairable, by not really reccomended unless it's a fairly decent unit.

By the sounds of things it's been swapped between a few cars. A dodgy install / removal could be the cause of the problem.

Before i bin it i would take a chance and check the speaker connection wires at the back of the ISO plug, it's possible, all though highly unlikely, that each of the wires has been knocked loose.

I know what ya mean mate, I checked the back of the ISO plug and it all seemed good?
Its really throwing me off, Im considering trying a different headunit tomorrow and seeing the result.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Only way to tell for sure is disconnect all speaker wires then wire a single speaker you know works direct to the harness and try it.

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
where abouts in melb you located?

i could help you out if you like.

Pascawali

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
so bit of an update...
tried a new headunit and presto it works!
So...conclusion...the other headunit was f****d! :)
Thanks heaps for the help guys!