Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP '96 VS cruise control

Hackerkrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Hi guys,

I have a 1996 VS and considering I have the long weekend I thought it would be a nice time to try and get a few little hiccups fixed with my car. None of my problems are life or death, but i'm not going to send it to a mechanic when I could possibly fix it myself.
So CRUISE, I would love to be able to use this function, now after a recent discovery on the way to work I found that I can turn my cruise on, hit the "set" button and an orange light with on comes up! (sounds good so far)
Unfortunatley once I take my finger off the "set" button the light disappears and well the car doesn't cruise because I start to loose speed.
So 4 days to try and fix this annoying little function, any ideas would be really appreciated as I start tommorrow.

Thanks!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Seeing that the cruise dashlights work, but the cruise wont stay set, then Id be checking the cruise cancel switches, located under the dash near the top of the brake pedal. These switches can go out of adjustment and cause problems similar to yours. Heres what the workshop manual says about adjusting the switches.

1)Hold the brake pedal in the depressed position and push the switch(es) fully into the tubular clips. Audible clicks will be heard when the switch slides through the clips.

2)To adjust the upper switch, pull the brake pedal back firmly against the pedal stop until the audible clicking sounds can no longer be heard. Apply and release the brake pedal several times to ensure that the adjustment is correct.

3)To adjust the bottom switch, carefully pull the switch away from the bracket until the plunger protrudes 3-4 mm when the brake pedal is released. Check the operation of the stop lamps afterwards.

Last edited:

Hackerkrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Thanks a lot, this sounds like your onto a winner. Now im not the best with cars, usually my father's area but he has gone away for the weekend so before I go tampering with things, thought I would just make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Here is a photo of where I believe I'm supposed to be going:

DSC_0251.jpg

There is a faint yellow circle there, is this the switch I am supposed to be looking at?

Thanks again

sik_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Pac, VR Berlina, VE 'V'
yeah that looks like the switches. one is for your brake lights other is for the cruise. couldnt tell you which is which atm. been a while since i had my head up under the dash!!

Hackerkrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
*****UPDATE******
Finally dad got home and he is much more mechanically minded then me, we got under the dash (miserable spot to work!). Looked at the switches, took them out I am a electrician by trade and tested the switches they work fine, we put them in the right position and proved they are switching but still the cruise will not latch on.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram that I might look at?
Any other ideas towards my problem are REALLY appreciated because I would really like to get

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When you re-installed the switches did you re-instal them correctly as per Bretts post#2....this is very important. To check if they are working you do not remove them - you simply check that one works opposite to the other i.e. brake OFF one is open other closed-----brake ON one is closed and the other open. If this check finds they are not OK you adjust as per Bretts post. They are part of the fail-safe system.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
the cruise will not activate under 40 kmh ,in the gregorys manual it says ...the electronic control module recieves a signal from the speedo to activate the electric motor in the control module
if u are going faster than than 40 kmh i say its in the speedo/ control module..... what happens when are under 40... turn on cc green light hit activate orange lights up release the button and goes out... its a safety feature

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
bret and hako are on the money, this should be your issue. if not

question: are all the tail lights LED lights? if so that will be your issue. there isnt enough load on the circut to register cruise control. check and at least for now replace one led with an original globe and test your cruise.

Hackerkrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Back again,
Checked the switches they are ok.
Found a new issue to do with the cruise control (been looking through other forums still no luck). The CRS light (green I believe) doesn't come on when the ignition starts, where as the orange ON light does. Pulled the stalk out this morning not to difficult a job, but dont know how to test the wiring as I cannot tell what I'm testing.
Checking the tail lights today to see if there is to much load.
Any ideas?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
i had trouble with cruise when i installed my lvl 3 cluster. as i didnt have the trip computer connected it wouldnt engage. what cluster do you have and have you had any trouble with your speedo? is the ribon in the right place and have you modified any of the wiring to the cluster?