Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help asap

silver88vl

No milk and juice here
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Berlina 5L
Hi guys & girls,

Went to start my car the other night & wouldnt fire... got the nrma out & said the the fuel pump is gone. its a holden 5litre v8 & was wondering if any pumps off any of the commodores will fit it.

cheers garth

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
do v8's have two fuel pumps. if so, it is a bit strange that both are buggered. could be something else. maybe there is no power getting to the pumps

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yeah, the V8 have the intank pump as well as an external booster pump. i'd go with defa, not likely both have failed. check fuses and relays etc

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
yeah, the V8 have the intank pump as well as an external booster pump. i'd go with defa, not likely both have failed. check fuses and relays etc
It wont run on one pump, if the intank dies the lift pump cant pull fuel. If the lift dies it blocks the flow from the intank. They both go around the same time normally:p
My intank went, they around 2 weeks later the lift one went. The intank is the same as the V6 ones and the lift one if the same as a VLT.

LindasBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5ltr + bt1 pack
It wont run on one pump, if the intank dies the lift pump cant pull fuel. If the lift dies it blocks the flow from the intank. They both go around the same time normally:p
My intank went, they around 2 weeks later the lift one went. The intank is the same as the V6 ones and the lift one if the same as a VLT.

I second that i had to replace both of mine within a week of each other when my car stoped.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I second that i had to replace both of mine within a week of each other when my car stoped.
To correct myself......it will run to some extent, but will have limited power and stall heaps annnnd burns the other pump out as its working twice as hard.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
well that all makes sense.. i would be checking if either are working and going from there..

silver88vl

No milk and juice here
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Berlina 5L
yeah he checked all the fuses & they were fine... it has 2 fuel pumps... but when the ignition is turn to the on position it doesnt pump fuel (no noise) is there a difference between the vl turbo & non turbo? & how hard are thery to change

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
What model Commodore is it? in a VP I'd also be suspicious of the immobilizer switch in the passenger door

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
yeah he checked all the fuses & they were fine... it has 2 fuel pumps... but when the ignition is turn to the on position it doesnt pump fuel (no noise) is there a difference between the vl turbo & non turbo? & how hard are thery to change
Has to be the turbo pump, the N/A one wont flow enough.