Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help. Cabling????

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I cut up my 4-gauge and am using it as speaker wire for the subs. Works well.

Yep you'll need power cable, a bigger fuse, and ground cable.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
So wiring is definantly the problem? And 4 gauge would def fix it??

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
There is no definitely here mate. But here's an idea, if the cable is to small then there is a chance the cable could melt and catch fire, and then your whole car could catch fire. Just a thought.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
So it's highly recommended lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yep definitely so. Look around when buying cabling as you can get some good deals with old stock, or clearance sales, unless your just buying cable and not a kit, in which case Jaycar might be able to fix you up. As a good rule, get the biggest stuff you can get your hands on. 4-Gauge would be OK for now, but if you can afford 2 or 0 gauge then get it.

I myself got a Stinger 0-gauge wiring kit for about $150 because some retard went into JB and without asking decided to rip open the case to inspect the content, obviously no-one told the retard its just friggin cable, it doesn't look any different behind a plastic case. Oh well, one mans stupidity is another mans bargain.

itchy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
I myself got a Stinger 0-gauge wiring kit for about $150 because some retard went into JB and without asking decided to rip open the case to inspect the content, obviously no-one told the retard its just friggin cable, it doesn't look any different behind a plastic case. Oh well, one mans stupidity is another mans bargain.

i scored a 0 gauge stinger kit and also 2 sets of splits (alpine type x and pioneers best ones) and an alpine usb headunit all for 100 bux from a wreckers
spewing the motor and battery was gone im guessin it would have been an optima yellow top and a high amp alternator :(
just look around a few places even ebay has 0 gauge kits every now and then for cheap

ok just thought id clear up the info on the subs as he got em off me lol
they are 307d2 (dual 2 ohm per sub) models which have 8 terminals on the box (4 on each side) the middle terminals are bridged under the rubber cover so they are hooked up in series (4ohm each sub so that u hook em up in parallel for a 2ohm monoblock)
really suited to a monoblock into 2 ohms or 2 channel amp with 2 x 400rms into 4 ohm
the reason why they both move is because they have a centre divider baffle (or whatever its called) with a 6 inch hole in it so they are not sealed from each other
any more info needed on the subs let me know

(also kizza could u leave me feedback :D thanks )

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ah this makes it a little easier to work with. But one question itch123, if the subs coils are bridged, are only the top or bottom pair of terminal on each side of the box used, and one pair not hooked up to anything?

subwiring.jpg

Oh and excuse my ummm, leet paint skills.

itchy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
hang on ill break out my paint skills in response brb

edit **** they are bridged at the terminal on the box with a cover over it its how pionner released em like that

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
So my mate at jb gbe me a stinger 4 gauge power wire kit for 40, n threw in some more spade terminals and stuff, so I'll wire that up and sand back te ground more, and since I turned the gains down again it hasn't gone into protection again

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
Sounds more like an impedance issue. Can your amp handle 2ohms in bridged mode?

Check the output specs for the amp.