Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help. Cabling????

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
so i recently upgraded my sound, i had a kenwood HU MP-2034 or something, Audioline 2x300watt amp and a 600 watt US audio Sub, i upgraded to twin pioneer champion series subs and a 4 x 200Wrms amp. I got splitters as my head unit only has one pre-out, the wiring was an 8 gauge 600 watt. now whenever bass kicks in the amp goes into protection mode, is this due to the cabling not being able to handle the load, the amp has 2 channels briged to the subs and the other 2 to the parcel shelf speakers. any help or advice would be much appreciated

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
More likely that your ground wire isn't making a good contact. Check that first.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
but it was working fine on my last amp,? and making good contact with the amp or the ground contact point? isnt it abnormal that 600watt 8 gauge wiring kit is being used on a 4 channel 4x200rms ???

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So if the cable is rated to 600 watts and your using 800 watts, do you think the cable might not be big enough? Also have you adjusted the gain on the amps properly, if not when they hit a powerful note, they will go into protect.

Also can you provide model numbers for the amp and subs?

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
but wouldnt the wiring kit 8 gauge be measured in watts while the subs measured in rms? and im not to sure on model numbers, but the subs are pioneer champion series, and the amp is a powervox 4x1400 watt ebay one till i come accross something a bit better.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
WRMS is Watts Root Mean Square, all audio equipment should use wrms, watts means nothing. Take your Powervox amp for example, it says 1400w x 4, but in reality it will NEVER make that power, what it really makes is 4 x 200wrms (unlikely, no offence but it is powervox).

Also the reason I ask for the model numbers is because the two channels bridged for the sub would likely need a 4-ohm load. Now to achieve this with two Pioneer champion subs you would need them both to be D4 models and then wired in series AND in parallel to make it work.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
well could i not bridge 2 channels for the twins, but run 1 channel to each sub ??

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Twins?? Explain?

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
twin subs, instead of briding two channel from the amp to one imput on the sub to run them both, could i run 1 channel to each input on the sub