Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help? Clicking noise in left rear wheel hub

ADTR-jolan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 S/c Vx commodore
Hey guys I have noticed a clicking in my left rear wheel hub? It sounds very similar to the cv joints that went bad in my 03 impreza but this clicking noise just started out of know where, thanks guys

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
check the obvious things like stuff stuck in tyres and rocks inside wheel covers

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
loose wheel nuts / handbrake shoe / rotor or caliper ..who knows

you will have to jack up that side and spin it

check out the cv joint... if it isnt something simple

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

funny enough last service the car was on a hoist and i turned each wheel the left rear makes a clicking noise

there is a slight buckle in the rim, but it does not touch anywhere, i was short on time as i wanted to go home and it was getting cold , but the initial impression because the noise was always with the tyre valve at about 5ocklock was that its not a CV and there was no play in them, so they think a high spot on the brake rotor or even the hand brake shoe - next tiem it is up the wheels will come of and have a good look

regards
geogre

ADTR-jolan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 S/c Vx commodore
So your car has the same issue as mine haha let's help each other solve the same problem hopefully

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stone stuck in the tread?

C.V may feel OK manipulating it by hand but in now way can you simulate the same loads by hand as is applied by the engine. Best bet is to actually remove the C.V and inspect it.

Also, when the car is on a hoist and the suspension is at full droop the load points inside the C.V will be different to when the car is sitting on the road at it's normal ride height.

edit: high spots on rotors or drums tend to make more of a squeak or rubbing type noise rather than a tick from my experience.

Last edited: