Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! interior sray painting

micky vn man

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 calias
ok guys i have painted heaps of interiors with vht interior paint and has never failed me but now i wana do the carpet on map holders in my vr ss the colour of carpet is grey and the colour i wana go is a creamy colour has anyone used vht interior paint on carpet? is ses you can but i dunno wouldnt mind some opinions

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yep, I tried doing carpeted door panels with VHT vinyl dye years ago. It worked, but the carpet was very stiff and didn't look too good because the colour can't get right into the material. I think you need to soak carpet in a dye to get the best results. You could peel the carpet off the door trims, soak them in the colour you want, then reglue them once they had dried.

R

richo304

ive done carpet with vht on the floor it doesnt last on the parts you put your feet on but was fine on the door trim carpet but as above the carpet is stiff i used rubber gloves and rub it in as i spray

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I think I would try my luck at using a fabric dye. If you can remove the fabric part, then do all of them at once, watching the colour carefully, until they reach the desired darkness. Then hopefully they will all match :)

If you cant, then you could try your hand at simply rubbing diluted dye directly into the carpet but I suspect it would be hard to get it right and even throughout the car like that.

Perhaps fabric dye wont dye the vinyl too, it might be possible to dip the whole trim in something for a short period and simply wipe the vinyl clean afterwards. I will let someone else experiment with that though I think lol

Have you considered simply replacing the carpet with another material of your choice?

micky vn man

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 calias
hmm cheers guys might just give it a go with the vht paint and see how i go

R

richo304

the key to vht dye is the prep work if you want it to last i recomend vacuming the carpet a number of times and cleaning it with wax and grease remover,i have recently done my seats with it they are red velour and they have come out like brand new and look great by folowing the instructions you get a good result on vinyle and velour because the velour is a very fine pile,carpet will come out looking good but its a bit harder to do because of its thicker pile but give it a go,,,,if i knew how to put photos up i could show you how my seats come out

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I did the carpet in mine with VHT but it fades quickly and yeah, really quite stiff. Need a lot for it to go fully cream or black though.