Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me decide what wagon to buy!! SS vs Clubsport

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 ZB Commodore LT 2.0T Wagon
Hey all, first post on the forum. I would love to hear from those who have owned SS or clubbie wagons.

I have a budget of about 30k and from what I can gather from carsales research, my options are:

>100k km VFI SS Wagon (Possibily stretching to 35k) - Auto Only
150k km 2008 R8 Clubsport Wagon - Currently only one on carsales now for 30k, very hard to find manual variant (or any for that matter)
<100k km VEII SS Wagon - Auto/Manual variants (Probably looking at 25k for these, series I seems to be about the same, with a premium for manuals)

I love the idea of the tourer wagons and have been in love with the 2008 clubbie wagons since they came out, finally in a position financially to get one, but also don't mind the idea of the SS either. For a bit of context as well, I have test driven VEII and VF Sv6 wagons and have been a bit disappointed with their performance I previously had a Ralliart magna which seemed like a speed machine compared to how the sv6 drove. Hence looking at the V8 models.

So few considerations I am thinking about:
-Is the leap from SS to clubbie worth it? Especially since there could be up to 5-6 years difference between the VFI and 2008 clubbie for about the same $$$
-I have heard that consumables for the clubbie can be ridiculous $$$, especially brake pads/rotors etc. does it vary that much from an SS?
-I would also have it as a daily, my thoughts for that are that an older car might be a nice novelty for a while, however newer models are also going to be nicer day to day
-The reality is either option will be a step up from my current car, a 2006 BF XR6 sedan. I am craving a capable wagon that I can have fun driving and will tow decent when I need it to
-I am under no illusions that both will suck the fuel, I do mostly highway driving so not a huge deal or a consideration for the purchase

Obviously a big part of this will be to test drive each to get a feel for which one I prefer, will wait for this post COVID lockdowns in Melbourne. However would like to get a feel for what others have experienced with the high spec wagons.
Cheers! Any thoughts are appreciated.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
V6 anything Commodore are a waste of time. For future value the HSV will be much better, particularly if you can stretch the budget to a LSA version. VF is chalk and cheese interior wise compared to the VE. Get a LS3 version if thats how you want to go and from very expensive personal experience, put lifters in if you are going to upgrade the cam.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The used car market is also very thin right now for some makes and models.
And dont discount going interstate once able to. Have a few mates that bought cars in SA and did the fly there drive back as prices were much cheaper.
If you really want a Manual, then definitely hold out til you can find what you want.
And as Reaper has said the VF or a LSA variant for sure.

Basically be willing to hold off for a bit and the whole market may have more options than the limits ones out there now.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I had to buy interstate to get what I wanted.
Trawl the auction sites too.

I'd be looking at all the options at once. There is a highly competitive used car market in Australia right now. New car sales are rooted.

When you find one, move fast. Be prepared to buy sight unseen.
Don't be shy about buying interstate. In some ways, it can be easier because no transfer papers are needed. Just buy it.
Every state seems to have similar laws around registering interstate vehicles. In short, interstate rego is worth nothing. Has to get inspected for road worthy, so factor in cost of that, plus rego in your state.

It cost me about $1000 to get a car from Melbourne to Perth (if that helps you work out approximate costs)
I used CEVA and was super happy with them. They do container transport too at an extra cost. Car is loaded into its own container. Much less risk of damage.

Good news is, XR6's are selling super fast at the moment.

I'd try get a Clubby or SS. Both will hold good value in the future as they have always done.

The VE has far better scope to bring them into the modern era than VF, with easy headunit upgrades to Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which brings apps and sat nav with it. You can keep the stock headunit somewhere safe to keep with the car.

I prefer the exterior shape and simpler interior of VE to VF. I think its one of the nicest designs they ever did on a Commodore. I feel VF will look dated more than the clean simpler lines or a well kept VE, in the future. The VE interior is not cluttered or busy, in comparison to the VF.

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 anything Commodore are a waste of time. For future value the HSV will be much better, particularly if you can stretch the budget to a LSA version. VF is chalk and cheese interior wise compared to the VE. Get a LS3 version if thats how you want to go and from very expensive personal experience, put lifters in if you are going to upgrade the cam.

Legend thanks mate, ye I have really gone off the v6 variants, not for me.
And ye the interior is something I really need to experience.

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
The used car market is also very thin right now for some makes and models.
And dont discount going interstate once able to. Have a few mates that bought cars in SA and did the fly there drive back as prices were much cheaper.
If you really want a Manual, then definitely hold out til you can find what you want.
And as Reaper has said the VF or a LSA variant for sure.

Basically be willing to hold off for a bit and the whole market may have more options than the limits ones out there now.

True, ye LSA might be a bit of a stretch, I am leaning towards manual for sure, not convinced about getting a performance car with auto, open to being convinced that the sports autos can still be fun.

Ye I think waiting might be the game I have to play at this stage.

aprentice

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had to buy interstate to get what I wanted.
Trawl the auction sites too.

I'd be looking at all the options at once. There is a highly competitive used car market in Australia right now. New car sales are rooted.

When you find one, move fast. Be prepared to buy sight unseen.
Don't be shy about buying interstate. In some ways, it can be easier because no transfer papers are needed. Just buy it.
Every state seems to have similar laws around registering interstate vehicles. In short, interstate rego is worth nothing. Has to get inspected for road worthy, so factor in cost of that, plus rego in your state.

It cost me about $1000 to get a car from Melbourne to Perth (if that helps you work out approximate costs)
I used CEVA and was super happy with them. They do container transport too at an extra cost. Car is loaded into its own container. Much less risk of damage.

Good news is, XR6's are selling super fast at the moment.

I'd try get a Clubby or SS. Both will hold good value in the future as they have always done.

The VE has far better scope to bring them into the modern era than VF, with easy headunit upgrades to Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which brings apps and sat nav with it. You can keep the stock headunit somewhere safe to keep with the car.

I prefer the exterior shape and simpler interior of VE to VF. I think its one of the nicest designs they ever did on a Commodore. I feel VF will look dated more than the clean simpler lines or a well kept VE, in the future. The VE interior is not cluttered or busy, in comparison to the VF.

Awesome thoughts, appreciate it.
Ye interstate may be the way to go, I have always had my eye on carsales and seems like R8 tourer manuals have always been a little bit scarce, so will need to pounce when they come up.

Ye I have been in a VF SV6 and wasn't blown away. I like the thought about better scope to upgrade entertainment etc. in the VE, very helpful, hadn't really though about it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vf is a big step up from ve BUT if you get 6.0 you'll later wish you held out for later more exxy ls3 variant.

I'd lean towards r8 tourer wagon depending on colour/condition & mods especially if it's long term goal is to be a keeper/weekender.

Otherwise I'd probably wait for ls3 vf correct colour etc if it's just long term daily driver.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Gumtree, carsales, marketplace, grays online, autotrader, pickles. You need to be across all of these if you are to find something.