Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help needed after my first coolant flushing...

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
If you never removed the bottom hose, i am amazed you got it all in. The way i do it is drop the bottom hose, run a chemical flush through it (cleans scale, rust etc also neutralises left over coolant) then drop it, then all i do is fill it up and keep dropping the hose untill it runs out clean (3-4 times) and flush other areas with a bucket or drink bottle. I dont use a hose due to water restrictions and not necesarry. The filling and emptying technique allows to to get a majority of distilled water in there if thats what you want. When bleeding the car through the bleed screw, the radiator will suck coolant back into it from the overflow reservoir. Good way of telling its working properly. So no need to drop it, unless its really dirty.

Knock sensors are either side of the sump, have a wire clipped to them and screw out with a socket attachment. Only way to fully drain the block. Also pull the hose at the side of the engine near the water pump and flush through there. That gets alot of coolant out from heater and heads etc.

Change the thermostat as well. Best way to fill it up again is to take off top hose from thermostat housing, and fill from there untill coolant/water runs out from the housing. This gets the air out of the block.

THere is an excellent How to in the how too section, with pix and all........

geraldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
vt with no coolant

iv just bought a vt and its only running on water (no coolant) will this wreck it and should i flush and put coolant in it???

geraldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
vtVY thermo fan wiring

iv just bought a vt and its thermo fan wiring has burnt out so i put it in the electricians and they rigged one up for me. the motor is out of a vy and now i have the engine light coming on why can any one HELP!!

Gav86

Reaction score
just so you no, the manual always says calais on it, coz it suits calais as well, ur car is just a plain old acclaim.

geraldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
need HELP

i just done a coolant change and now when i go to bleed it there is NOTHING no air or coolant WHATS HAPPEND WHY HAS THIS HAPPENED??

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
i just done a coolant change and now when i go to bleed it there is NOTHING no air or coolant WHATS HAPPEND WHY HAS THIS HAPPENED??
Are you bleeding it at operating temperature with the engine running?

geraldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
i took it for a drive and got it to operating temp and tryed it again and only got a little bit of air should i do it again

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
i took it for a drive and got it to operating temp and tryed it again and only got a little bit of air should i do it again
Coolant should be coming out, are you unscrewing the valve far enough?

geraldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
yes coolant coming now but didnt get much air tho how do i know if i need to replace the thomostat

geraldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
i done the coolant change cause it only had water in it no coolant and the engine light was coming on and its a little hot on the temp gauge how hot is normal temp??