Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help needed.

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
202 blue motor currently stock in a vh sl/e .. 86kw.. want to get it to about 110-115 whats is the cheapest and simplest way to do it.. the more basic u can explain it to me the better.. i know exhaust system is a priority.. but that wont give me that much extra power.. especially when i am only looking to pay around 600 for the exhaust.. any basic help ...would do :bang:

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
i have spent ages looking through past posts and there is nothing to suit my needs they all talking big bucks and most is on efi 202's... i'm only looking to spend $800 not including the exhaust system.. i only want a little extra power.. the engine has just been rebuilt.. that was free.. i dont know whether or not to find one of these cold air intakes for it .. dont know if there is much point.. paying 30 odd bucks for something that really prob wont do much..

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok you have sort of done things backwards here, but anyway.The below modifications may not all be legal but will make it go better.
Your biggest gains as said in previous threads are going to be cam,headwork, then carbie. Basically getting more air & fuel into the engine.
So if you or you have someone who can do the work for nothing, install a more agressive cam, seeing the engines pretty much new i wouldnt bother about bigger valves but port match the head tot he intake & exhaust manifolds.
Carbie wise i would consider either a weber from xe/xf falcon or possibly a 350 holly as long as you can get someone to set the holly up right though.
Next get rid of the air pump, remove the engine fan and either fit an electric thermo fan or a light weight nylon fan exhaust wise a set of extractors either 2" or 2 1/4" system.
I dont think you will get you expected power gains but thats about the best you will get for your money

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
can u give me names of what sorta of cams id need and a possible price
what is ment by port match the head tot he intake & exhaust manifolds.
and how hard is it to attach a xe carb to the holden.... what are the prices i'm looking at for all this.... sorry for wasting time... just i dont know much .. and dont want to be ripped off or pay money for useless things

E

evl

big cam, extractors, triple webbers, toyota 5 speed, think electric water pump, fuel pump, fan ect use every thing you produce. a 186 head ported an polished could be the trick. find someone in the hq racing loop they know there **** man.

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
would it be cheaper just to buy a 253 and use that ... as i know i can get a 253 for around 350 -400 bucks.. whats the difference between the 202 and the 253 in fuel useage

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Really both engines are a bad choice for the long term. I would suggest a 304/308, just remember you will need to do engine & gearbox in the swap.
With the cam it will depend on what mods your going to do to the engine to what grind your going to do. Theres no point buying a high lift cam if your not going to run roller rockers. I will look up some cam specs for you that I have at home for the 202.

Port matching is making the inlet and exhaust ports on the head the same size as the manifold, so if the hole in the side of the head is smaller than the manifold you machine it out to be exactly the same size and the manifold it bolts up to.
Basically if there are less restrictions ont he air coming into the engine ie higher velocity more should go in. there is an exact science to it but if you just port match you should see some increases in performance.

Fuel usage look at it this way
for a 202 to put out say 110kw and a 5L to put out the same power the 5L will use less fuel doing it.
I had a 308 in a HJ 1 tonner for my first car it went harder than my EFI 202 did and used way less fuel. So I have gone back to a V8 again with a EFI 304. Im expecting around 500km out of 75l. I used to get 400km out of 75l out of a wild 202. I get around 400km out of 55l with a carbie 202 with a mild cam, head porting, rejetted varajet.

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
is there alot of work invovled in getting a 308 to fit into a vh.. and wouldn't there be alot of things that need to be changed... thanks for ur information... but my major question is .. is there alot of performance difference between and 202 and a 253.. just standard as is. carb not efi

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
also about the port matching . where can i get that sorta thing done
any places in victoria..or can just a local mechanic do it