Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please for cooling fittings

iank1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
Finally got the inlet manifold off to get at the fittings, both are mild steel badly corroded and leaking.
The rear one I believe is 3/4 bsp thread, so if I cut off the smaller bypass tube on it it looks like a 27mm socket will fit it, that one has a pin hole corrosion in it
The front one is in really bad shape, failed completely and is pressed into the block, so doesn't look easy to get out and replace.
If anyone has done the front one would really appreciate their help.
If anyone knows where the fittings can be bought at a sensible price please advise. A pic of each one attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_141004.jpg.pdf
    317.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20230509_141023.jpg.pdf
    319.9 KB · Views: 111

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Finally got the inlet manifold off to get at the fittings, both are mild steel badly corroded and leaking.
The rear one I believe is 3/4 bsp thread, so if I cut off the smaller bypass tube on it it looks like a 27mm socket will fit it, that one has a pin hole corrosion in it
The front one is in really bad shape, failed completely and is pressed into the block, so doesn't look easy to get out and replace.
If anyone has done the front one would really appreciate their help.
If anyone knows where the fittings can be bought at a sensible price please advise. A pic of each one attached.
Just look up Nissan/VL rb30 online
from memory the front one is pressed/bashed out from the front behind wp through the thermostat block housing or you can even get a threaded barb/fittings and tap it.

https://www.holdcom.com.au/4198

https://www.holdcom.com.au/4197

iank1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
VL update.
Rear Block water fitting. After removing all the inlet stuff to get to it I cut the mangey end off the fitting so
I could get a socket on it then after some penetrene soaking was able to undo the old without too much drama.
Fitted the new one with some thread sealant.
Front water block fitting. had to remove the engine mount bracket & support the sump.
Was able to rock the fitting back & forward to get the old press fit out.
The replacement press fitting seemed too tight so I used some fine wet and dry to give it a slight smoothing.
Still took a fair force to tap it into the block, using a small block of hardware and a hammer, used a thread seal on it.
Inlet manifold back on after replacing all hoses (mackay kit).

All finished fired it up and the water pump was leaking:mad:
car back in shed till I get motivated for water pump.

Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
VL update.
Rear Block water fitting. After removing all the inlet stuff to get to it I cut the mangey end off the fitting so
I could get a socket on it then after some penetrene soaking was able to undo the old without too much drama.
Fitted the new one with some thread sealant.
Front water block fitting. had to remove the engine mount bracket & support the sump.
Was able to rock the fitting back & forward to get the old press fit out.
The replacement press fitting seemed too tight so I used some fine wet and dry to give it a slight smoothing.
Still took a fair force to tap it into the block, using a small block of hardware and a hammer, used a thread seal on it.
Inlet manifold back on after replacing all hoses (mackay kit).

All finished fired it up and the water pump was leaking:mad:
car back in shed till I get motivated for water pump.

Welcome to car life. I do it on the daily.