Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Please!!!

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Hey, well i have installed my amp and new speakers a few weeks ago. I have had to mount the amp on the underside of the boot (as in the part of the boot that opens). All is fine so far however initially i only grounded it to the boot, i was ten getting engine noises and every now and then a loud distorted sound would come through. So i piggy backed this ground and ran another (from this ground) to where the rear tail lights are grounded. Ran ok for a few days, and now i can't have the amp on. Every bump i hit, or when i close or open the doors of the car a distorted noise comes through that could deafen you. So i have read that the best place to ground is the bolt on the rear seats or something... But i have also read that your ground wire should be as short as possible. (If i was to run a wire to the back seat, it would be over a metre.

If someone could post pics or give good directions on where to find the boot bolt. Or any other advice about this problem i would really appreciate it. The last 2 days i have had to drive to and from my jobsite (about an hour and a half each way) with no music.

Thanks in advance

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
Hey, well i have installed my amp and new speakers a few weeks ago. I have had to mount the amp on the underside of the boot (as in the part of the boot that opens). All is fine so far however initially i only grounded it to the boot, i was ten getting engine noises and every now and then a loud distorted sound would come through. So i piggy backed this ground and ran another (from this ground) to where the rear tail lights are grounded. Ran ok for a few days, and now i can't have the amp on. Every bump i hit, or when i close or open the doors of the car a distorted noise comes through that could deafen you. So i have read that the best place to ground is the bolt on the rear seats or something... But i have also read that your ground wire should be as short as possible. (If i was to run a wire to the back seat, it would be over a metre.

If someone could post pics or give good directions on where to find the boot bolt. Or any other advice about this problem i would really appreciate it. The last 2 days i have had to drive to and from my jobsite (about an hour and a half each way) with no music.

Thanks in advance

So have you mounted the amp on the boot lid itself? Have a look and see if you can use the baby capsule bolt underneath the rear partial shelf.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
As long as the ground is as thick as your positive, it doesn't matter if it's 1m long. Mine is ground to a bolt under the rear seat that holds the backrest of the rear seats in place. I have a VT though.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
I would think the shock of closing the boot would damage the amp in a very short time

I'm the only one who closes my boot and i don't smash it around. It gets no more shock than any other part of the car.

So have you mounted the amp on the boot lid itself? Have a look and see if you can use the baby capsule bolt underneath the rear partial shelf.

I can't get to the bolt i don't think because of my lpg tank. I might have a look though, thanks

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah try another earthing location.....the underside of the parcel shelf isnt the most ideal location, as it may be spot welded or even glued in.....providing a poor connection to the chassis.

Go with somewhere like the seat/seatbelt bolts etc, even if you dont run the wire properly and just leave it dangling in the boot....just to test and see if the noise goes away.

Also, what type of amp is it and where does the cabling run into the bootlid, are the RCAs and power/earth seperate?

Mounting the amp in this location is unusual, but do-able.....opening and closing the boot shouldnt do any real damage, provided its mounted properly and as youve said, you dont "slam" the boot when closing.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Yeah try another earthing location.....the underside of the parcel shelf isnt the most ideal location, as it may be spot welded or even glued in.....providing a poor connection to the chassis.

Go with somewhere like the seat/seatbelt bolts etc, even if you dont run the wire properly and just leave it dangling in the boot....just to test and see if the noise goes away.

Also, what type of amp is it and where does the cabling run into the bootlid, are the RCAs and power/earth seperate?

Mounting the amp in this location is unusual, but do-able.....opening and closing the boot shouldnt do any real damage, provided its mounted properly and as youve said, you dont "slam" the boot when closing.

I know the spot isn't ideal but i have the gas tank in the boot, and didn't want it under the passenger seat or didn't want to start screwing into the side of the chassis.

The rcas and power cables run along the hinges next to existing wiring (opposite sides, RCAs down passenger, power down drivers).

Any idea the easiest way to get to one of these bolts in a vy?

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
hmmm if RCA's and power is run down opposites i cant see why this is occuring maybe call in a proffesional to diagnose

MX_Leigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
yz250f
try looking for a bolt behind the spare wheel or something.