Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help!!! Problems!! Vp ss v8

rose0501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS Commodore 5L
Hey,

I have a 1993 VP SS V8 5spd manual and have been having troubles with it! could someone please help me or offer any kind of advice i would be very thankful!!

1. Backfiring

2. Idling at 1500

3. High revs when driving normally about 2000

4. What is the timing meant to be at ? we think it may be advanced? is that a possibility?

hope this all makes sense, im a chick and i know a little bit about cars but would gladly appreciate any help!

Last edited:

VP-CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP clubby 5.0lt 5spd
Mayb you could try a fault code check first, there is a detailed thread on checking them in vn/p section.. could tell u the problem if it's a sensor or such!

vpshtb0x

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 wagon
A mate of mine had the same problem, turned out to be the temp sensor. It made the computer think that the car was always running cold and made it run richer and higher rpm (like driving an older car with the choke on). As said before, check the error codes!

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
idle control valve, had the same problem with my vr 5.0, back firing could be it running rich ? is it shocking on fuel ? try manifold temp sensor. and the temp sensor may be reading wrong, but it wont show up an error code unless its not reading at all. there little shits! its under the tb easy enough to change.

rose0501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS Commodore 5L
thankyou so much for the replies everyone! I had a family emergency hence why i havent been back on since i posted this! yes its on petrol am definately going to try all of this and see where I end up!
thanks again :)

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
when mine was backfiring ended up being the rotor under he dizzy cap.. it was knackered... once replaced worked fine.. cheap part prick of a location tho.

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
when mine was backfiring ended up being the rotor under he dizzy cap.. it was knackered... once replaced worked fine.. cheap part prick of a location tho.

Yup, its in the worst place ever. Which is why I'm just gonna pay someone else to do this for me!!!!! lol