Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help removing plastic door strips

dean_jely

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec
Hey guys im woundering how to go about removing the door protecting strips on the outside of the doors, would it wreck the paint? If not whats the best way to do it.

thanks in advance.

freeLancer

Reaction score
Hi there.

I actually removed mine this morning. I have removed the plastic but the bonding strip / paste is still there. It's a bit of a struggle to get the bonding paste out. I was told to cut it out with knife.

The plastic strip wasn't too difficult for me as mine had already come loose a bit on the one end. So I just gently (sometime a little less gently) pull it from the one end to the other. It took about 10 minutes to pull it.

I had a stanley knife and a very flat, small steel ruler on hand to weaken where the bonding is a bit stronger, but didn't have to use them much.

What's left are 2 strips, 1 of some kind of tape on the top and 1 of some bonding paste at the bottom. The paste is difficult to get out. The ruler helps with the tape.

Does anyone know what the paste and tape are and where can I buy them. After removing it, I am going to stick it back on.

Do you know where I can buy the plastic strip as well. It's for the drivers door and how much is it roughly.

Thanks.

Slow_Az

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY s11 Cosmo "S"
from what i have seen at work, the door mouldings all come with the the sticky stuff already on the back of the moulding itself. it's sort of like a clear double sided tape. just peel the paper back and stick it onto your car. as for price, wouldn't know.

Conkster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Wagon
Hi there.

I actually removed mine this morning. I have removed the plastic but the bonding strip / paste is still there. It's a bit of a struggle to get the bonding paste out. I was told to cut it out with knife.

The plastic strip wasn't too difficult for me as mine had already come loose a bit on the one end. So I just gently (sometime a little less gently) pull it from the one end to the other. It took about 10 minutes to pull it.

I had a stanley knife and a very flat, small steel ruler on hand to weaken where the bonding is a bit stronger, but didn't have to use them much.

What's left are 2 strips, 1 of some kind of tape on the top and 1 of some bonding paste at the bottom. The paste is difficult to get out. The ruler helps with the tape.

Does anyone know what the paste and tape are and where can I buy them. After removing it, I am going to stick it back on.

Do you know where I can buy the plastic strip as well. It's for the drivers door and how much is it roughly.

Thanks.

What car was this on? and color?

could you please post some pictures of it without them thanks ;)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The tape is a commercial grade double sided tape available from body repair supplies. It's stronger than the stuff you use around the house and withstands exposure to extremes of temperature and immersion. The "paste" is probably a bonding agent called Sikaflex, used by the motor industry to bond panels together and attach mouldings such as these strips. There are various types of Sikaflex, which are designed for different tasks, so you need to be sure you purchase the right stuff. It's available from the same source as the double sided tape.

Regards

pj

madgamer2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 2003
im trying but its just to hard to get the stripes off... i dont wanna wreck the paint

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
You wont get the strips off without wrecking your paint. That Sikaflex is really strong stuff. So I wouldn't do it unless you're planning on repainting your doors.