Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!! Smoke Detector going off all the time.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
In my old house (rental) we had a bloke come around for a fire inspection, and he told us we had to have smoke alarms *outside* every bedroom, and the only reason he put one in the kitchen is because one of the bedrooms opened onto it. he also said that if he lived there, he would take the one out of the kitchen to stop it going off all the time and only put it back for inspections.

What is your point?

My point is there is no point in not having one in the bedroom, the twisted logic of ancient fire regs is that fires cant start in bedrooms....rubbish.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
What is your point?

My point is there is no point in not having one in the bedroom, the twisted logic of ancient fire regs is that fires cant start in bedrooms....rubbish.

I have no real point, just making an observation. Makes sense though i guess, then smoke alarms would usually only have to be in hallways etc and most rooms would be pretty well covered, as opposed to putting one in every room

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
I have no real point, just making an observation. Makes sense though i guess, then smoke alarms would usually only have to be in hallways etc and most rooms would be pretty well covered, as opposed to putting one in every room

Makes sense?
So the baby is sleeping in another bedroom to you, a fire starts in there due to some electrical fault with the intercom/whatever and you the parent arent going to know about it until enough smoke leaks out from the room to trigger the hallway detector.......yeh great sense.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Makes sense?
So the baby is sleeping in another bedroom to you, a fire starts in there due to some electrical fault with the intercom/whatever and you the parent arent going to know about it until enough smoke leaks out from the room to trigger the hallway detector.......yeh great sense.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's really irresponsible of every building company in Australia to put babies lives at risk like that. I'm so angry I think I'm going to write them a letter tomorrow

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I'm picturing something like a WiFi antenna interfering with it... Some kind of electromagnetic interference at least... Try turning off your access point if you have one?

Didn't have one at the time.....i like the theory though.

Ours didnt...... It tested fine before AND after the fire we had. It was placed in the kitchen, and we had an oil fire on the stove, which set light to most of the kitchen, and then set the dinning room a light.
No smoke alarm went off, I walked down seen the kitchen, gone OH ****, made the stupid mistake of putting a lid on the pot of oil and tryed to move it. Set light to the dinning room table and curtains in the process after it exploded. The room was full of smoke, it wasnt till the smoke managed to get to one of the smoke alarms in the bedroom (other end of a large house) that we heard a smoke alarm go off...... After the fire brigades investigation and it tested fine for them, they said its possible it got clogged with smoke and couldnt function, WTF. I would never again even think about relying on a smoke detector, we have them (we have to for insurance purposes) but I now would never expect them to go off in a real fire. If theres a fire risk, do it outside or dont leave its site..... and yes cooking oil can catch on fire VERY quickly.

Thats my rant about Smoke detectors, I have plenty of scars to prove they dont work :p

Yeah my point was more in relation to the $6 Bunnings alarms. I don't think anyone has the knowledge or know-how to get on here and blame them for the freak buzzing or claim they won't work. If they have been proven to be so bad they wouldn't be sold - said for any brand or price.
I do believe any item can have a fault though and I'm glad you got out with comparatively little damage and injury.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah the one's I have are the 30-40 dollar bunnings ones...

Also, no wifi in the unit... :p

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Yeah my point was more in relation to the $6 Bunnings alarms. I don't think anyone has the knowledge or know-how to get on here and blame them for the freak buzzing or claim they won't work. If they have been proven to be so bad they wouldn't be sold - said for any brand or price.

Yeah I agree, they all have to meet a standard so they should all work and do the job, in theory anyway lol. But I wouldnt see a difference between a $6 one and a $40 one. Oh for the record the one of ours that didnt go off was 20 or 30 something bux, it wasnt that old, 6 or so months.... Still got it here somewhere lol.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
commsirac,

How many and where are the smoke detectors in your house?

You do realise that they are designed to pick up trace amounts of smoke right? A fire in a bedroom of any size will release enough smoke to set off a hallway detector.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
commsirac,

How many and where are the smoke detectors in your house?

You do realise that they are designed to pick up trace amounts of smoke right? A fire in a bedroom of any size will release enough smoke to set off a hallway detector.

Ive got smoke detectors in all rooms, including hallways, yeh it was expensive when I first put them in 25 years ago, but now they are cheap as chips, apart from the 9v batteries!. Basically its falling a sleep and not knowing there is a fire that gets people killed.

Im not interested in having to have a room a blaze before enough smoke leaks under the door to trigger the detector. Or the room Im sleeping in fill with smoke sending me unconscious and then the alarm outside triggering but Im already stuffed.

Your logic suggests one alarm stuffed in a cupboard somewhere will do the trick?

as I stated before, our fire regs somehow think its impossible for fires to start in the room in which you are sleeping......bollocks.