Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help to remove part of Omega Console...

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
As shown in the attached picture...I am trying to determine if it is worth the effort to remove/modify/replace the area of the Console shown in the pic...SPECIFICALLY...I want to install a lighter socket into the section of the Console opposite where the Hand Brake Lever is installed - looking at it...seems obvious this is where a Left Hand Drive version for Overseas Export has the Hand Brake Lever located.

Am wanting something more accessible than a lighter socket inside the Console Storage Unit [what effwit decided to locate it there?] as I'm wanting to use it to power a Bluetooth device [cause it is so difficult and expensive to change the stereo to something with Bluetooth capability] and the provided fitment inside the Storage Hatch is absolutely useless...

Another option if a Member offers knowledge of an available are to fit the lighter socket is in the dash itself [like they used to be 40 years ago] tho that may prove difficult to do [given my own pathetic Health situation] and that's what makes me think inside the Console itself may be more simple solution...though remembering back to earlier Commodores...the A/C Vent pipes for the Rear Passengers may impede placement there....IF they still run 1 tube either side of the Console??]

Any other suggestions for easy fitment will be gratefully received!!

Attachments

• snap703.jpg
    snap703.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220906_144548 - Copy Close Up.jpg
    20220906_144548 - Copy Close Up.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 73

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You may be able to still get a 'smokers kit' for your VE.
It locates in front of the gear selector in the lower console.
It has a flip top ash tray (small storage) and a power outlet.
There is a dedicated loom to power it already installed.
Just a suggestion?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
You may be able to still get a 'smokers kit' for your VE.
It locates in front of the gear selector in the lower console.
It has a flip top ash tray (small storage) and a power outlet.
There is a dedicated loom to power it already installed.
Just a suggestion?
Yes,they were still around last year at some Dealers.
There is a dedicated thread(s)on here about it and how to fit,very easy.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
As shown in the attached picture...I am trying to determine if it is worth the effort to remove/modify/replace the area of the Console shown in the pic...SPECIFICALLY...I want to install a lighter socket into the section of the Console opposite where the Hand Brake Lever is installed - looking at it...seems obvious this is where a Left Hand Drive version for Overseas Export has the Hand Brake Lever located.

Am wanting something more accessible than a lighter socket inside the Console Storage Unit [what effwit decided to locate it there?] as I'm wanting to use it to power a Bluetooth device [cause it is so difficult and expensive to change the stereo to something with Bluetooth capability] and the provided fitment inside the Storage Hatch is absolutely useless...

Another option if a Member offers knowledge of an available are to fit the lighter socket is in the dash itself [like they used to be 40 years ago] tho that may prove difficult to do [given my own pathetic Health situation] and that's what makes me think inside the Console itself may be more simple solution...though remembering back to earlier Commodores...the A/C Vent pipes for the Rear Passengers may impede placement there....IF they still run 1 tube either side of the Console??]

Any other suggestions for easy fitment will be gratefully received!!
This link may help?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s a good spot for a USB socket. I like it.

Use the spare 12v plug behind/under the radio for a power source.