Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with code 42 Electronic Spark Timing Circuit

Pimpn1

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
hey guys, sorry for probably dumb question, but where do i start looking for the code 42 Electronic Spark Timing Circuit so i can fix the problem? my vn s1 commodore v6 has the engine light come on and off every now and then and this is the code as well as oxy sensor, but car still runs fine.

what can i fix to solve the Electronic Spark Timing Circuit?

thanxs

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Sounds like its the Coil pack, change it over and see if its the problem get a mates one to borrow. also when you take the plug off have a look at the female connection and see if some are wide aprt this will cause the same problem i just cut off another connection and put one on.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Sounds like an ECM to me but that's just guessing without testing on the car. A search on here should bring up a few threads/posts on code 42 - it's pretty common.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
here you go.when the est code is displayed the timing will be locked at 10 degrees so its best to remedy the problem.most likely the DFI or the 2 EST control wires or the ecu.im helping someone else try to fix this problem right now and its not playing nice 4 DFI's and 3 ecu's and all the tests in that flow chart done still no luck.it is a flow chart for V8 but the v6 is much the same just the resistance of the dfi probably wont be the same as the V8 ignition module

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 3,757
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,846

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
had the same problem till 2day, got a second hand coil pack and bam it was fixed :)

calais quickest

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5 litre
i got spark but not enough to fire replaced coil plugs n leads still wont kick over