Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Personal loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

You don't let up do you?
How do you know he doesn't need it?
What are the repayments on your senator and why do you need it?

Let up? When it comes to a lack of common sense, I do realise I'm flogging a dead horse. But it never ceases to amaze me that so many people just don't get it so I can't help but try to help.

Wow! There's a lot of people that don't understand need vs want. Nobody needs a brand new V8 ute. I know plenty of tradies in banged up old utes and vans that get by fine. Think about it. Do you need it? Or is it a luxury you're over committing to and realistically can't afford? Why doesn't anyone else (well, other than minux) seem to understand that being desperate/urgent/whatever for a mediocre $5,000 while owning a $40,000+ new car is absurd?

Personally, I will never own a depreciating asset. Well I'll never say never. I do plan on buying either a new Indian or a new Harley soon but I plan on owning whichever one I choose for the rest of my life. Either way, I'll own it outright and it will likely only depreciate while I'm alive. Regarding my car, it's setup so it actually benefits me financially without me owning it - a lot of people do it this way. I don't pay as much tax and don't have to worry about the depreciation. It's not a NEED for me though and I am fully aware of that. I've never said my choices are based on NEED. A lot of my choices are based on WANT but only WANTS that I know I can easily afford. I will NEVER try to convince myself a want is really a need and over commit to anything as so many here seem to be very willing to do.

Regarding the OP, minux was absolutely right when he said "maybe the OP should have a less fancy car, one that gets from a to b and does not require 13 litres for every 100 km then he could afford to do it without asking on a forum".

Same sentiment but as me really. It's $5,000! FFS if you can afford a luxury item such as a BRAND NEW V8 car, then $5,000 shouldn't matter to you.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Sell my car after a year of repayments, which means 4 years of repayments to make up for Max i would get for my ute is 30k (Thats pushing it) means i would have to roughly come up with 10-15k to pay the rest, and all i need is 5k? so if i did that i would be 20k out of pocket! Clap Clap

So essentially you bought a vehicle with negative equity...Indeed clap, clap.

You'll actually find most privately bought new cars are financed. If commercial hire purchase didn't exist, the auto sector would be in the toilet. Very few people have a lazy $40k lying around. But then if you can rustle up $5k with only a few weeks of saving, surely one would be in the latter camp?

No one is saying car finance is bad, clearly it is not too affordable if saving 5k is out of the question, makes it even more a silly purchase given past lending history mentioned in original topic.

I am so sorry that none of us can be like you Raj and afford to pay for it straight out, you are an absolute toss bag, Heard of a home loan? Do you realize a house can depreciate over time to? But yet people still get a loan for them. Its called needing something and i don't see the point in spending 5k on a car that could have the potential to cost you that much a year for the next 5 years quick math anyone? 5x5? 25k? ok so i went out and got a 35,000 car yes i pay interest but i need it!

Thanks for getting my thread off topic if you would kindly piss off out of this thread it would be much appreciated Mr i can afford everything

You asked for advice, it went off topic because you didn't like the advice given, I am not sure the name calling is required. Comparing a home loan where the asset generally appreciates in value or stays at value unless you stupidly overpaid on a property is just silly, if you had a home loan you could use equity int he property for your medical issues.

^^^^ think 99% of us are on the same page here......................crazy unless NO other option available,thread wasn't titled "do I sell my near new car at a big loss"

He asked for advice on what to do, it was provided, he cannot start the name calling and sooking because he does not agree with advice that most people smart with money would give.

If the medical attention needed was urgent, the "luxury" car and I use that term loosely would go, if he needs a ute there are plenty out there very cheap. Any sane person in control of their finances would dump off a vehicle that was clearly draining a budget to where $5,000 could not be saved.

im not sure how this would go but...
could you possibly ask your parents/relatives to help out a bit if desperate?

I mean, its not the best option.
but if it is needed quickly I would have a guess they would be willing to help.
even if its not the full amount.

Interesting thought here, and slightly off topic, our financial advisor made a comment once when a similar discussion come up about someone we know in a similar position to the OP. Based on his 30+ years in the game, generally speaking, if children are bad with money, they have learnt the bad habit from their parents. If parents are prudent with their finances, it generally carries over to the children. I want to just emphasise the term "generally".

To the op, have you looked into one of those low rate mastercard/visa cards.

From the original post...
Anyways my situation i have two defaults (Paid) from when i was 18 (IDIOT) im now 24 and this still haunts me to this date i can't even get a phone plan!

If there are still 2 defaults listed it means they have not been cleared out. If they are paid, many lenders will give finance, if they are not marked as paid it is pretty much impossible without going to someone like liberty finance.

I have matured i pay my current loan every week on time and double the payments

Here is my advice, given you say the car is 35k,, you have bad debt, I am going to assume your finance rate is around the 19% mark, I am probably being generous there. Based on this, you say you have been paying the loan for 12 months and have 4 years to go, at that interest rate and purchase price of 35k you will repay in total 54k as generally these loans are also fixed which means no discount for early payout. Based on your statement of double payments each week, that would mean to date you have paid $21,768 or a balance left of 32k give or take a few hundred. Means the value of car sold at 30k would be almost break even. Cheaper car, cheaper loan until you get your defaults cleared.

Anyway my point is going to state the obvious...given you have said the medical treatment is not urgent...why not just stop paying an extra 900 month on double payments on what would be a fixed secured loan and save for 4-5 months? Just saying of course...

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
minux they don't get it. lol

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Wow! There's a lot of people that don't understand need vs want. Nobody needs a brand new V8 ute. I know plenty of tradies in banged up old utes and vans that get by fine. Think about it. Do you need it? Or is it a luxury you're over committing to and realistically can't afford? Why doesn't anyone else (well, other than minux) seem to understand that being desperate/urgent/whatever for a mediocre $5,000 while owning a $40,000+ new car is absurd?

Personally, I will never own a depreciating asset. Well I'll never say never. I do plan on buying either a new Indian or a new Harley soon but I plan on owning whichever one I choose for the rest of my life. Either way, I'll own it outright and it will likely only depreciate while I'm alive. Regarding my car, it's setup so it actually benefits me financially without me owning it - a lot of people do it this way. I don't pay as much tax and don't have to worry about the depreciation. It's not a NEED for me though and I am fully aware of that. I've never said my choices are based on NEED. A lot of my choices are based on WANT but only WANTS that I know I can easily afford. I will NEVER try to convince myself a want is really a need and over commit to anything as so many here seem to be very willing to do.

Regarding the OP, minux was absolutely right when he said "maybe the OP should have a less fancy car, one that gets from a to b and does not require 13 litres for every 100 km then he could afford to do it without asking on a forum".

Same sentiment but as me really. It's $5,000! FFS if you can afford a luxury item such as a BRAND NEW V8 car, then $5,000 shouldn't matter to you.

do you not understand this isn't about what type of car he owns/drives.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

lol it's absolutely directly related based on the information provided. the fact people (incl. the op) don't get that is astounding.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
You just keep repeating yourself raj. We completely understand what your saying.

You should pull your head out your arse and try and understand that just because someone has an expensive car doesn't mean they can come up with $5000 that easily. And he doesn't want to sell it so you're wasting your time telling him to.

Eh, I can't be arsed with you anymore.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Oh so Raj doesn't actually own his Commodore...... :p ;)

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

Look, it kinda is. As much as I think Raj got a lot of people off on the wrong foot and his original post was extremely condescending. He has a point.

A VU ute wouldve done exactly the same job at a fraction of the price and still remained decent to look at with a bit of power. If he NEEDS a ute, then there are plenty of options.

The OP is currently in this mess bcause of the type of car he owns (aka the original purchase) and the lack of maturity/planning/finances he had at the time. Thats done. Theres not much point calling the OP names at this point. Selling it is probably a dumb move because of how much trouble hes got himself into because of it, you kinda want a nice car at the end of it.

With that being said. I believe the OP should have gone directly to a financial planner because asking this type of question on a forum is silly. We arent financial planners (ok maybe a couple are) and lot of people dont have the people skills to perhaps gently make a point (maybe the point needed to be blunt?)

Personally I would assess how urgent the surgery is. Will you die or will you be in pain if you dont get it? Will it prevent you from working? If so, you probably need the money now. Look for someone who will give you money. Stay well clear of those quick money lenders. They want their money back yesterday and will charge you through the nose untill they get it. Peoples choice have good rates and are generally pretty good. How much do you have owing on your other debts? Peoples choice offer lower rates depending on the loan. Say you have 3 grand owing, perhaps borrow 10. Consolidate your other loan at a lower rate. Pay for your surgery and then throw the other 2 straight back into your loan. This is something someone with some experince will help you with.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
MINUX..i would debate the MANY lenders helping out statement re paid defaults in the past 5 years....I know your about to tell me possibly that you work in the industry lol if so,give him a referral,see if his income to liability ratio flies? problem will be possibly,no security available...maybe a guarantor could happen as Drawnite suggested,dunno...

One thing I do agree with Raj on..its ONLY 5k.. if he doesn't want to sell his car(and drop twice that)and he will suck up the higher rate on a ripoff 5k loan then its his choice,was seeking advice as to any finance options/debt assistance etc .. and I believe he is going to look into some that were suggested,just not the one you and raj suggest in selling the car.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
he doesn't want to sell it, but wants $5000? what does he need more, the car or the loan?

Status
Not open for further replies.