Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help With Pioneer H/U

Majestic 36

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VL
Ok, so I got a friend to help me clean up the wiring for my sub and amp.
Everything was fine until he decides to run a new control wire, and the RCA leads had one built in.
It was all good until when we turned it all on and the amp didn't fire up.
So he decides to connect the power wire to the control as well. The sub started making moving heaps and made a bang noise then he took the wire off.
So we scrapped that wire and connected my old control wire and replaced the RCA's, but now the front left channel on the H/U crackles/distorts really badly when its connected.
Ive tried running new wiring and a new speaker still crackles/distorts!
What could be the problem?

Also sorry about the life story :blah blah:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
So he bridged the REM and + terminals on the amp while the remote wire was still connected?

Majestic 36

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VL
Yeah and the H/U was on aswell, I was gonna say to disconnect it and turn it off first but it was too late.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Sounds like a head-unit problem.....take it out and have a smell, if it smells burnt then time for a new head-unit.....otherwise i cant figure out another solution, way too many variables ;)

Majestic 36

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VL
It didn't smell at all, but the plastic covering on the control wire connection was melted a little.
Anyway well thanks for the help, I'm spewing tho. I normally just do the install myself, should've just cleaned the wires up myself.

Uber_Flacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 ltr Ute
Sounds like your mate just F***ed your HU

Majestic 36

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VL
Tell me about it. Then he started saying he would lend me his other H/U, Never seen that happening at all.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Sounds like a head-unit problem.....take it out and have a smell, if it smells burnt then time for a new head-unit..
Why is it time for a new head unit? The internal amp IC(which also controls the remote/system wire) only costs $20...

Majestic 36

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VL
Why is it time for a new head unit? The internal amp IC(which also controls the remote/system wire) only costs $20...

Where could i get one of those? If it will fix the channel problem, then i will just do that.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Are your speakers running from the head unit or an amp? If running from the head unit, disconnect the distorting speaker and measure the DC voltage from ground (bare metal of chassis) to each speaker wire. They should both measure half of your supply, so around 6v with the car not running. If they measure anything else, the amplifier IC is toast.

You'd get the part from Pioneer spare parts, but you're probably better off getting them to fix it if you don't have much experience with soldering.