Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Tafe

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Like others said, look at finishing the hsc. Im about to and i am doing atar subjects but a lot of my mates arent doing the atar subjects.

It is quite cruisy if you dont do atar subjects in most cases such as SLR and stuff like that.

Just a thought anyway

Last edited:

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
If you are still at school do as much work experience as possible. Appretuceships are tough and your best be is to get into one early. Money isshit when you start but its not for long. Alternatively if you have the smarts go to uni and get into mech engineering.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
heres some advice that may blow your mind.

Look at foundation skills courses then specialize.

Why?

Its a tight market and a lot of skills that are still technically trades of their own..... are easy to get and place you high above others who only have the qualifications in fields you want.

Working in automotive engineering for 2 years the amount of people we came across who had a mechanical specialization but were useless else where we're a liability when there when their work let up or there were changes in the job role.

Say you find an area in mechanical stuff you want to specialize in, i'd recommend you start of doing a cert 2/3 in business or IT, easy as qualifications you can walk through, it gets you prepared for the crap you have to put up with in tafe, you pretty much cant fail these, it prepares you for office duties / computer stuff, see how you cope with study, then look at studying in a field you love.

I went and got IT qualifications that i walked through, and business, and even security.... im using all these to help me in a risk management role, if id jumped straight into it i might not have been able to survive with it, and then once i have it, I go up for a job even though im awesome at anything computer related / customer service / provide service to clients, unless you have those pieces of paper to back you up..... someone from uni in the same interview will steam roll you.

It's a tight market mate.... prepare yourself for it and you can take on anything and love what your doing.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Although, I always wanted to get into panel and painting, and work in a resto business, or own one. Not likely to happen though, not now, string of events never helped, take it from me, I'm 23 and wish I done mechanics, panel, paint and auto elec, done none, and do I regret it, I'm a house painter!

Your still young do some courses etc and be a mechanic and get a resto business going! But there's still decent money in house painting.! Its not fun tho... I just finished doing my room and bathroom.. cheers!

While your at home, can afford to and have the support from friends and family, learn everything you possibly can.
Thats true mate i am doing that! :)

mate honestly, i wouldnt bother with cars, for me their just isn't enough money in it, and id rather just keep it as more of a hobby. I'd chose another trade like plumbing or a sparky

Yeah thats it. Its more of a backyard weekend hobby. I don't think i could handle it especially with all the cars i buy onto of that... I was thinking of plumbing dad done it for a few months and he said its a pretty **** Job.. His mate has been doing it all his life tho.. But i have had pluming in the back of my mind and would consider that or sparky.

Have you considered about finishing you HSC or Equivalent in one year? As long as you can learn on your own you should be fine. I finished my HSC last year at TAFE and finished with an ATAR of 98.55. I got into medicine at Sydney. After setting up my room(1 week before the start of Autumn semester) I decided I wasn't sure if I could see myself doing this in ten years time, I deferred and have been working at my parents business for the past year. I am thinking about doing Mechanical engineering(including my practical diploma) at UTS next year. What I see myself doing in the future really has little to do with what(if I do end up going) I will be studying at university, it's my backup.

Yeah i see were you are coming from! medicine would of been good money tho! But i couldn't see my self doing it too.. Whats the engineering like ? Cheers!

My only advice for you is that don't do nothing, if you're still not sure, pick a course at TAFE(that will be universally recognised by potential employers, ect). Or get a job and come back to it in a year or so, life experience is one of the most important things never forget that, as is common sense.

It always helps if you can do something you love, but if you can't do that, do something that allows you to do the things you love (i.e do something that will allow you to financially support your passions)! ;)

Thanks mate! Yeah that's the goal i want something that supports my cars and eventually will get me a house! in the future! Thanks for the advice :)

^ Finish HSC in my opinion

As in this day and age it is getting harder and harder to get a job without a HSC wether you get an ATAR or not....

It doesn't matter if you do non atar subjects but you will still get your HSC ( Which will help greatly with employment )

I am aiming for high 90's in my HSC ( Starting in 2 weeks ) but even if i get my desired mark and get into the course at Sydney Uni i am going to take a year off travel a bit and get a full time job, Although i have had jobs since i was 12 currently holding 3 jobs. I would personally like to get out into the workplace / workforce and get a handle on it all before entering a 4 year Economics course. ( Even if its 1 year full time Of Becoming a manager of mcdonalds.

( If your contemplating Going into a business related course ) mcdonalds can be good if you dont like school as if you become a manager at macca's you actually get a business degree and can go into uni from that degree obtained through mcdonalds. ( Im not personally aiming for this but ye )

Also That 1 year all dat $$$$ and no outgoings = MODS :)

But seriously consider staying at school and getting a HSC ( Not an atar just the HSC ) or even so Get the HSC at tafe

Yeah i hate school tbh... Thats why i want to go to tafe! But thanks for all the info and your knowledge! :) cheers..!

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was in the same boat as you when I was 16, what I did was I went to a few different places for work experience to see what I liked doing. I ended up choosing to be an auto electrician and I love it, but its not for everyone

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

I am considering being a electrician! Whats better and easier in your opinion auto or just electrician ? My dads mate is a sparky so i might be able to get some experiences there! Cheers..!

mate have you considered being a sparky? finish your course n go work your arse off in the mines...

Yeah i am really thinking of being a sparky! And i was thinking about the mines.. Whats it like there ? How dangerous is it ?

TAFE tester courses normally go for a week. will put you through most trades. then go from there.

and to above, it certainly aint that simple. Plus if your good you dont need the mines to make money. Trust me, i know from experience =P

I am glad they have the tester courses! At least i can try some different things..! Thats good im not too keen on going down there!!

you have a passion for cars but you dont want to work on them .... be a chippie...

Whats being a chippie like ? good pay ?

Have you considered anything outside of the trades?

TAFE has plenty of Business, Information Technology, and Government qualifications. I did a Cert III, IV and Diploma in I.T. in 18 months a TAFE. Walked me straight into a job doing IT support in one of the largest high schools in NSW. I look after 1400 laptop devices and associated network hardware.

That's awesome mate congrats! :) I always get told how good of a salesman i am when i sell cars etc! So i would like to work at Holden or ford etc.. One day What do you thinks needed to get in there ?

Like others said, look at finishing the hsc. Im about to and i am doing atar subjects but a lot of my mates arent doing the atar subjects.

It is quite cruisy if you dont do atar subjects in most cases such as SLR and stuff like that.

Just a thought anyway

Thanks for the thoughts mate! What type of subjects ?

If you are still at school do as much work experience as possible. Appretuceships are tough and your best be is to get into one early. Money isshit when you start but its not for long. Alternatively if you have the smarts go to uni and get into mech engineering.

Yeah i am still at school but i hate it tbh that's why i want to go to tafe. Yeah its crap pay at first! I have to get a job for some experiences! I was working for abit but it was too much hard work for the money... Its a huge story of what they wanted me to do for the ridiculoules pay.. **** That..! I have made a easy 40K this year doing cars and parts! But its all invested.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
heres some advice that may blow your mind.

Look at foundation skills courses then specialize.

Why?

Its a tight market and a lot of skills that are still technically trades of their own..... are easy to get and place you high above others who only have the qualifications in fields you want.

Working in automotive engineering for 2 years the amount of people we came across who had a mechanical specialization but were useless else where we're a liability when there when their work let up or there were changes in the job role.

Say you find an area in mechanical stuff you want to specialize in, i'd recommend you start of doing a cert 2/3 in business or IT, easy as qualifications you can walk through, it gets you prepared for the crap you have to put up with in tafe, you pretty much cant fail these, it prepares you for office duties / computer stuff, see how you cope with study, then look at studying in a field you love.

I went and got IT qualifications that i walked through, and business, and even security.... im using all these to help me in a risk management role, if id jumped straight into it i might not have been able to survive with it, and then once i have it, I go up for a job even though im awesome at anything computer related / customer service / provide service to clients, unless you have those pieces of paper to back you up..... someone from uni in the same interview will steam roll you.

It's a tight market mate.... prepare yourself for it and you can take on anything and love what your doing.

Thanks mate..! I was thinking about doing salesman cause i all ready am a awesome one! And eventually work at Holden or Ford etc.. I like doing that and i can convince any one to buy one of my cars hehe ;)

Yeah i will prepare and i would take on that cause i love it!

Cheers mate for the info..!

Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman VYII SS
Welding (pressure vessel)/fitter machinist/sheet metal fabrication.
I love my chosen career paths, I only wished I'd have gotten into them sooner. 16 is a great age to start.

Soon I will be able to work as a hyperbaric weldor.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
one thing.
if you care about pay, you're going to most likely be disappointed =P
most likely if you do an apprenticeship itll be the bottom of the barrel wage, unless of course you get lucky/really apply yourself.

another option.
do pre apps while still at school.
that way you can finish your High Schooling (yr 12) and get some qualifications.
personally i was lucky. was able to do a full Cert 2 in auto at school, and Cert 2 in Electrical at Tafe while still at secondary school.
just to add. some Bigger trade companies wont take you unless you have finished yr12, and done some specific subjects. (good idea to look into that)

if you can, do the tester tafe course during your holidays.
go out and do work experience during your holidays.
do everything you can, itll help you get contacts and build up a knoweldge base
and then apply it to get where you want to go.

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
mate with my experience there is no longer good money to be made in the auto industry(unless you are a business owner, manager),i have lots of mates who have left and chosen different work,the pay rates of apprentices are appalling,and once qualified you can still make more driving a forklift!.
if your not good at school and tafe,and not interested like i was,
do casual work until your 18,then get your security licence,best occupation I've had lol.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
This thread just confirms that the GTS rep & VE are your fathers seeing as you don't like working on cars.

Go finish your HSC, An go from there when you rea little older and more mature.

Cheers
Mat