Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hey guys i was after some info on machining costs

Col_inception

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS
I have a vx ss the motor is out cos I've just had a cam put in but I want to put a 383 stroker kit in it, I will have the kit in the next 2 weeks it's 383 stroker kit so forged crank, rods, pistons plus bearings & rings so I have 2 questions

1) rough idea on cost to have the block decked, cylinder checked, hone, and stroker kit installed

2) recommendations on where to go to get it done, I live in Campbelltown NSW 2560 if that's any help.

Any information would be greatly appreciated guys

StrokedLyfe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS S2
I have a vx ss the motor is out cos I've just had a cam put in but I want to put a 383 stroker kit in it, I will have the kit in the next 2 weeks it's 383 stroker kit so forged crank, rods, pistons plus bearings & rings so I have 2 questions

1) rough idea on cost to have the block decked, cylinder checked, hone, and stroker kit installed

2) recommendations on where to go to get it done, I live in Campbelltown NSW 2560 if that's any help.

Any information would be greatly appreciated guys
I would say rough cost of $5500-$7500, I'm doing a 304 to 383 with the 5L block, LS as far as I know has more clearance for the crank so cost maybe a bit lower

Col_inception

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS
I would say rough cost of $5500-$7500, I'm doing a 304 to 383 with the 5L block, LS as far as I know has more clearance for the crank so cost maybe a bit lower
Thanks for the reply StrokedLyfe, do you really think it will cost that much even though I have all the parts, from what I've read their only needs to be a little bit of shaving done to fit the crank in and decking the block is around $200-$300 honing is around $200 and I only need the crank, rods and pistons installed nothing else surly I couldn't be as much as $7500 for that could it?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
from what I've read their only needs to be a little bit of shaving done to fit the crank in and decking the block is around $200-$300 honing is around $200 and I only need the crank, rods and pistons installed nothing else
I’d go with that price!:)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I suggest you get a couple of quotes from different workshops.

But consider that most places charge $100/hr for a tech to do anything. It will take time to check/clean and dummy assemble the short block just to measure it all up and see what machining is required. Then strip and do the machining work, then clean and assemble the whole lot.

Col_inception

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS
I suggest you get a couple of quotes from different workshops.

But consider that most places charge $100/hr for a tech to do anything. It will take time to check/clean and dummy assemble the short block just to measure it all up and see what machining is required. Then strip and do the machining work, then clean and assemble the whole lot.
The motor has already been stripped and cleaned ready to go

Attachments

• 20220118_220829.jpg
    20220118_220829.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220118_220750.jpg
    20220118_220750.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 110

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ever built a motor?

Col_inception

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS
Ever built a motor?
Only that one, a friend of mine who has built motors helped me with that one we pulled the crank out and cleaned everything and put new bearings and rings in with the stock crank ect when we done the cam, also has new timing chain n gear mellings oil pump, I've got all new parts ready to go back on eg gaskets, rear main kit, all ARP bolts, new upgraded flex plate and heaps more, i just thought this time I might put it in some where to get it decked, honed and the crank rods and pistons installed I thought it might only be around $2000 just to get that bit done

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately we aren't doing the work so we can't quote what it will cost.

But you are using a new crank and you can't just assume that it's the right size or the bearings you have give the correct clearance, all this needs to be measured and checked, same goes for the rods. Pistons need to have rings fitted, rings need to have gaps checked etc and all this needs to be checked/measured.