Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi flow cats and 02 sensors

Scott Williams

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx supercharged
Do hi flow cats make 02 sensors play up I was told hi flow cats will cause 02 sensors to play up my car is a 06 sv6

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
it doesn't cause them to play up it only causes them to show a reading the ecu sees as outside it perameters so it thinks there is a fault, that's why people get them turned off so to speak

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the ones before the cats help with the afr the ones after are only there to check emissions

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Don't want to highjack the thread. Pardon my ignorance about the matter, just curious.

I've read about a type of spacer bush, like a spark plug extender bush, that can be used to overcome some O2 reading issues - do you use these gadgets on the back set of SV6 sensors?

Torque Solution O2 Sensor Extender: Universal

edit add info

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if somehow the extension changes the oxygen getting to the sensor it may work, or maby it makes it so less flow goes past the sensor may do something...

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
they act like a mini cat and give the correct flow so to speak and the o2 senor cant see a fault or out of range issue- this is roughly how it was explained to me

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
they act like a mini cat and give the correct flow so to speak and the o2 senor cant see a fault or out of range issue- this is roughly how it was explained to me

Thanks for your replies MYVESSV8 and 07GTS,

So these gadgets are usable on the pre and post sides of the cat converter in an Alloytec SV6, and help to disguise or "even-out" the range of "changes" in AFR with the after market extractors/exhaust system etc. ?
Thinking laterally, would one of these disguise a faulty O2 sensor?

Sounds neat to me. Like all good things - Are they illegal?

All-round, are they a better fix compared to turning sensors off in the ECU, considering the cost of an ECU tune?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id check to see if the extension will fit first sometimes the sensors face the floor or might not have room to be extended, it would be cheaper than a tune and would do the same as turning off the sensor of that's all was done... i would only use it after the cat not before, the ones before need to work properly...