Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

||| hi_ryder's VP Calais LS1

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
this is next on the list. replace driver side strut and lower control arm assembly, and full nolathane kit with tie rod and ball joint replacement as well....

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

oh also DIE NEW COMMODORE DIE!

yea.jpg

stothers

Reaction score
hahahah that chrome stripping gave me a good laugh. but anyways, nice work mate.

so you obviously work in panel and paint business aye?
was gonna ask you what the panel and paint work set you back but no point if you get it cost price.

i really love the look of this, id love it as my daily

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
the sill panel section i paid 100 for (from masri wreckers, pretty much for the labor to cut it), door and guard were from pick ur arse camblefield. i had my iraqi friend do the surgery (pro bono)... i used ppg D8046 primer (paid the shop $400 for welding and booth time and primer) i used mipa paints from northern auto paint suply (NAPS) c75 and ms25 clear kit, 3 litres of 2f020 cardinal red, 1.5 litres of solar silver, and 5 litres of reducer. the suspention stuff was on special from pick ur arse.

probably a waste of money, but i guess its the journey not the destination...

heres my running tab, i just open the txt file and add to it everytime i buy something...

vp calais wreck $200
strut mount nolathane $165
monroe gt gas struts $208.40
nolathane bush kit $312
grille $77.75
coil compressor $42
door guard $117
sill section $100
chrome wheel nuts $41
chrome handles $200
tie rod ends $32
ball joints $42
wh grange wheels $650
wreckers strut $40
paint $645
shop use $400
front and rear bar $40
total $3312.15

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
heres part of the reason i havent been able to work on my car...

this is the iraqi's car... 2001 mazda millenia supercharged. apparently they only sold 25 of these in australia. this is one of 9 in victoria. the doors are the same as a 929 but that front guard had to be ordered from japan to the tune of $500.... cant believe this car was $75k new. i stayed back at work wed night till 8pm masking it up then came in this morning at 6am to smash it. im wrecked.... why do i get involved.....

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

stothers

Reaction score
thanks for that little writeup mate, makes it alot easier to see what im looking at..

got any more photos of the mazda? looks interesting

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yesterday and today...

started in on the suspension stuff. put in the monroe gt gas shocks, and the strut top bearings. pried out the castor rod k frame bushings. the lower control arms are getting the ball joints and bushings pressed in on monday. till then everything is just hanging there.... ill assemble the rest when the arms are done...

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
looking awesome mate, chrome door handles ftw

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks man. thought the handles would be a nice touch without being over the top... still trying to figure out how to re-do the factory chrome on the door moulds though... car is sitting in the garage hibernating right now... :(

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
thanks man. thought the handles would be a nice touch without being over the top... still trying to figure out how to re-do the factory chrome on the door moulds though... car is sitting in the garage hibernating right now... :(

You could try using wide chrome pinstripe tape. That's what I used on my VR Berlina years ago when the "chrome" peeled away in a few spots. It can be hard to find chrome tape, particularly in a wide size but it's worth the search.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i actually have some of that and tried it out but it didnt stick at all, curled up on the edges. it might not be sign writers grade stuff though... i was thinking about getting a dremel router bit tool and just milling out the section where the chrome would sit then use the 10mm stick on stuff that gets used on the bumper bars. the problem is the moulds are already painted so any mistakes mean they'le going back to the booth for a re-shoot... might have to get a sign writer involved...