Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID lights for VE ssv

jleiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV ute
I like the idea of hid headlights on the ve, but have not seen one at night. I am interested in installing this kit from ebay as it is a plug and play kit with no extra wiring/drilling involved http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=120730220193
Does anyone in southeast melbourne have these intalled? If so, what do you think of the brightness, distance of light etc.

I would like to see these in action before i purchase off ebay.

Cheers

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SS - Black Edition
I know it's not the exact ones you linked but they are very similar in design. I recently put these in my VE Clubby: LOW Beam VE Commodore Series 1 2 H7 HID MAX Lamps KIT 6000K Xenon Lamp SS SSV | eBay
The difference in light output is absolutely amazing, I do a lot of night driving and now I can't be without them, if I drive my other car without them it feels very weird not having as much light.
As long as you are putting them in projector headlights you won't have a problem, i've never had anyone flash me so at least they aren't blinding other road users which is the main issue when installing HID's.
Just remember to grab some white LED park lights as well to match.

Hopefully someone in Melbourne can show you theirs but I know you won't be disapointed.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
didn't follow the link, but Repco had a full HID conversion kit for VE on sale about a month ago for $70.

I actually find the factory halogen in the projector to be great light in comparison to my other cars, is HID really so much better?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Mate the size and style is good, what I have on mine. Don't get 6000k though, plenty of threads about this here.

Is HID better than the highest legal spec halogens?

Yes for whitish blue brightness directly in front, not as good response time though, also halogens provide a natural light on long drives and traffic. I prefer HIDs for looks definitely (I have 5000k), and high spec halogens for touring.

garage_attachment.php

jleiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV ute
Cheers PIRATE,

would you say the HID push a further, brighter distance ahead? were yours the plug and play kit? cheers

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Cheers PIRATE,

would you say the HID push a further, brighter distance ahead? were yours the plug and play kit? cheers

Yes same kit but not with the blue eyeball busting 6000k icewalker spears. They sure are very different and each better for exclusive reasons already covered, about pushing further possibly but they are so bright you really really need to point them downward lower than legal standard as per alignment procedure.
Otherwise yes they push aariight! Dangerous in the extreme not least because point them at humans and you will be hated and berated off the road.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I've got the kit as mentioned in your first post mate.

Best thing I could of done to my projectors. I can see everything on the road and in front of me 30 meters away.

I have 6000k and I don't see anything wrong with them. I've had 5000k and they were ok. Got 6000k and they were way better. They are more white then 5k and yes they do admit a small amount of blue tinge in them but not a ridiculous amount.

As long as you aim them down so there not blinding other drivers then you will be ok.

That's my 2 cents :)

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
FWIW, Just looked at the link, thats $150 for low beam only, the Repco kit had high and low beam kits together for $70

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i have HID in my lows. doing my high beams later. i use my spots when am on country roads as there not projector lens and to much glare. but the performance of HID are great. got mine from Max Vision for $70 been getting all my gear from him and never had a problem with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 530

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
I've got HID low beam and fog lights in my SSV. I didn't install they were on the ute when I bought it but from my previous experience I would say the low beam are 5000k, and the foglights are 6000k.
attachment.php

The foglights are definitely more blue coloured, but that pic doesn't show it well. I've experimented at night with the 2 different lights(while parked, not driving, I didn't want to annoy the s*** out of other drivers). When I have the low beams on, which are a nice clear white, and then turn the fogs on the light in front of the car becomes very blue. The 6000k fogs on their own(without the low beams on) are way too blue for my liking. I think I would get annoyed having to drive a long distance if I had 6000k low beams by the weird blue colour of the light.
They work amazingly as far as lighting distance and brightness, and I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic. I consider my high beams totally redundant now, I can't imagine ever needing them with HID low beams.