Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hid

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
oh further more... you have digital ballasts which are diode protected against reverse polarity.. Just plug those damn things in and if it doesn't work, take the wires out of the plug and turn them around! Job done and we can close the thread!

Nutcracker, can you decode the wiring colours from that diagram please and confirm the below please?

Hid RED goes to the wire colour W/L (White w/Blue)
Hid Black goes to the wire colour X (Black)

Matty14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute 5speed 3.8L
I have 2 sets of headlights. My low beams are H4s and my low beans are H1s. Yes I know H4s are high and low but you can get them with only one, and my H4 low beams have a shield on the inside of the covers.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The projector head light has a shield in it to decrease the glare from the HID.
Some higher end lights have a solenoid operated shield that moves, so as to let more light out when switched to high beam.
Others have a fixed shield that acts as low beam only.
The shield is not part of an HID globe.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
you do realize that by installing them without modifications of the wiring harness... when you switch to high beam you will lose half of your runnings bulbs and half of your light. The H4s WILL go out. Leaving you with hardly any lighting as the inner high beam bulb on a commodore is "spot" lens meaning it throws light a long way but won'tlight up the sides of the road sufficiently.

Using a handful of diodes on the H4 can at least get them to stay on when on High beam.... not as well as having them on high beam but at least they will be on.

Matty14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute 5speed 3.8L
I know there not apart of the globe or hid, yes mine are fixed in the light cover
I have projector lights for fog lights and o know what's in them

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
oh further more... you have digital ballasts which are diode protected against reverse polarity.. Just plug those damn things in and if it doesn't work, take the wires out of the plug and turn them around! Job done and we can close the thread!

Nutcracker, can you decode the wiring colours from that diagram please and confirm the below please?

Hid RED goes to the wire colour W/L (White w/Blue)
Hid Black goes to the wire colour X (Black)

Correct....
For High Beam....
Red HID (positive) to car "White/Blue" (positive).
Black HID (negative) to car "Black" (negative).

For low beam....
Red HID (positive) to car "White/Blue" (positive).
Black HID (negative) to car "Tan" (negative).

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
you do realize that by installing them without modifications of the wiring harness... when you switch to high beam you will lose half of your runnings bulbs and half of your light. The H4s WILL go out. Leaving you with hardly any lighting as the inner high beam bulb on a commodore is "spot" lens meaning it throws light a long way but won'tlight up the sides of the road sufficiently.

Using a handful of diodes on the H4 can at least get them to stay on when on High beam.... not as well as having them on high beam but at least they will be on.

I did this mod ages ago and found it better.
It's very easy to do and allows you to have the high and low beams on at the same time.

Make sure you insulate all connections properly and that all joins are good.

http://forum.streetwagons.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4749&start=0

All you have to do is remove the steering column cover and access the headlight plug on the indicator stalk.
Find the white/black wire and the white wire on the plug and bridge them together.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I assume thats pre relay so virtually no current on it? I did mine at the headlights by whacking a pair of 10amp diodes from both the hi beam and the low beam down to the power wire of the HID.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Yep, pre relay. Only switching current.
Works a treat and very easy.