Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Hidden twin turbo setup on 215i Grange?

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
Where's the airflow for heat exchange if the intercooler is in the boot? Are you going to cut out the floorpan of the boot and run the intercooler as part of the floor?

If you're blowing air around the boot through a heated intercooler, all you're going to end up with is a hot boot :p

Cut out the front of the spare wheel well with exhaust fans all over the place. The intercooler it self wont get to hot because it is only intake air going in and getting cooled down. Its not a radiator.

Its going to be a rear mount 4L straight 6 :p

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Cut out the front of the spare wheel well with exhaust fans all over the place. The intercooler it self wont get to hot because it is only intake air going in and getting cooled down. Its not a radiator.

Its going to be a rear mount 4L straight 6 :p

HAHA that told Morton where to go lol :yeah:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mate, the intercooler in the boot??? how long are the pipes gonna be run pressure to and from?

i smell "turbo lag" lol. you realise that the turbo has to fill the entire space with pressure before itll deliver pressure to the motor? like trying to inflate a low profile tyre as opposed to a tractor tyre. itll take sceonds longer to fill that area, thus giving you mental lag.

ditch the idea IMO, the best intercoolers are small efficient ones that fill quick/breathe well and are close to the engine and turbo. a lot of customers go out and fit spastic sized intercoolers to standard boost skylines etc and dont realise that they are making their cars marginally slower by doing so.

at least they look "fully sick" though...

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
HAHA that told Morton where to go lol :yeah:

How did that tell him where to go, Morton has a very valid point unlike the Intercooler in the boot. If you think an Intercooler in a boot is a smart idea, Turbo Charge temps will heat that cooler & the residual heat will roast the charge temperature, Especially the audible noise coming from the boot.

It's a moronic idea to place an intercooler in the boot, If you think it was a sensible idea, It'd exist already wouldnt it smartass?

Cheers
MaT

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
How did that tell him where to go, Morton has a very valid point unlike the Intercooler in the boot. If you think an Intercooler in a boot is a smart idea, Turbo Charge temps will heat that cooler & the residual heat will roast the charge temperature, Especially the audible noise coming from the boot.

It's a moronic idea to place an intercooler in the boot, If you think it was a sensible idea, It'd exist already wouldnt it smartass?

Cheers
MaT

I wouldn't be calling people smartass's just yet.......

YouTube - taking the rearmount turbo vp 5l for a quick spin ......turbo and screamer is loud in cabin

The noise is not an issue, Its just something stupid to do to a car we have lying around. Lag wouldn't be an issue either, If we were worried about lag, we wouldn't even bother with a turbo.

I still don't see how a Intercooler would heat up to an inoperable temperature. Thermos on the cooler with a cold air intake to the thermos would do the job easy.

In all seriousness, it will be funny having a turbo that will barley spool and hit boost at redline. If the car was meant to be anything serious, we wouldn't be going for a rear mount. The screamer will also be external from some part of the frame for mega loudness. I like doing funny things.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Why not get a top mount charger? Most cops wouldn't me able to tell the difference.

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
it works for me they tell me my car sounds sick and about to die and i should look at getting a new one then send me on the way:thumbsup:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I wouldn't be calling people smartass's just yet.......

YouTube - taking the rearmount turbo vp 5l for a quick spin ......turbo and screamer is loud in cabin

The noise is not an issue, Its just something stupid to do to a car we have lying around. Lag wouldn't be an issue either, If we were worried about lag, we wouldn't even bother with a turbo.

I still don't see how a Intercooler would heat up to an inoperable temperature. Thermos on the cooler with a cold air intake to the thermos would do the job easy.

In all seriousness, it will be funny having a turbo that will barley spool and hit boost at redline. If the car was meant to be anything serious, we wouldn't be going for a rear mount. The screamer will also be external from some part of the frame for mega loudness. I like doing funny things.

He's been helping me with my rear mount, Only reason his setup works is the way its run & the vents, He has no backseat an the boot is totally stripped an vented...

He also has a TT355 thats an absolute beast.

And you do know you can make serious rearmount turbo kits yes?
With the correct housing sizes, as STS has been doing it for quite a few years, Mainly on camaro's in the states & mustangs which have minimal engine bay room.

EG: Perfect 5ltr single turbo setup is a gt35r with a .70 intake & .82 exhaust like my setup.
With the lower exhaust temps it should spool at 2.7k`rpm & be efficient to 5400rpm

And rearmounts + screamers are not loud just so you know...

Sreamers are only loud when mounted inderect of an engine bay before a muffler of some sort. Screamer is just a non plumbed back wastegate,

Now you WILL NEED
39-42lb injectors
Scavenge Pump
Turbo of some sort for your application
2bar map sensor
and a few other bits an pieces which are pretty self explanatory.

Cheers
MaT

EDIT:

After all this talk I'm quite worried about what you will end up doing to this grange with an inefficient turbo setup.

Last edited: