Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HSV brakes on VF knuckles?

LJW-SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ ute 6spd
Hi all. Just wanted to know what would be the correct procedure to fit VE HSV AP Racing brakes onto a VF SSV (non Redline). From what I understand the VF caliper bolts are M14 and VE calipers are M12 (or I have that the wrong way around, not entirely sure). Is it possible to just drill and tap the calipers to suit the VF bolts or will I need new knuckles to make them work

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you live in Australia (Leeton is in NSW which is part of Australia :p), you’ll need to get the brake upgrade signed off by a road authority certified modification engineer. Why, because there are rules to safely modify motor vehicles.
So if you do live in NSW, best to contact RMS and chat to them about the rules around brake modifications. They’d be able to provide you with a list of certified engineers to call and discus your plans with.

For some light reading, you can start below:

PS: AIUI, drilling knuckles and/or callipers will most likely not be acceptable to your certified engineer so don’t do it without prior approval from the guy who’ll sign it off for you.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hi all. Just wanted to know what would be the correct procedure to fit VE HSV AP Racing brakes onto a VF SSV (non Redline). From what I understand the VF caliper bolts are M14 and VE calipers are M12 (or I have that the wrong way around, not entirely sure). Is it possible to just drill and tap the calipers to suit the VF bolts or will I need new knuckles to make them work
You can drill and tap VE calipers to M14 for VF fitment, but it needs to be an accurate job with high engineering integrity.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
If you live in Australia (Leeton is in NSW which is part of Australia :p), you’ll need to get the brake upgrade signed off by a road authority certified modification engineer. Why, because there are rules to safely modify motor vehicles.
So if you do live in NSW, best to contact RMS and chat to them about the rules around brake modifications. They’d be able to provide you with a list of certified engineers to call and discus your plans with.

For some light reading, you can start below:

[/URL]

From what Ive seen of people posting on the assorted VF Facebook pages, plenty of people (Including workshops offering upgrade packages) conveniently forget this rather important caveat :p

Maybe in the fine print, "for off road use only" ;)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
From what Ive seen of people posting on the assorted VF Facebook pages, plenty of people (Including workshops offering upgrade packages) conveniently forget this rather important caveat :p

Maybe in the fine print, "for off road use only" ;)
NSW have applied a convoluted interpretation of the "national" rule that permits any upgraded brake system factory fitted by Holden or HSV to a VF Commodore to be retrofitted to any VF model variant without engineering compliance. For example, every other state permit VF Redline brakes fitted to a VF Evoke, SS, SV6, Calais etc., except NSW.

Obviously modifying VE calipers to fit a VF knuckle in relation to this thread, isn't permitted in any state without engineering compliance.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
NSW have applied a convoluted interpretation of the "national" rule that permits any upgraded brake system factory fitted by Holden or HSV to a VF Commodore to be retrofitted to any VF model variant without engineering compliance. For example, every other state permit VF Redline brakes fitted to a VF Evoke, SS, SV6, Calais etc., except NSW.

Obviously modifying VE calipers to fit a VF knuckle in relation to this thread, isn't permitted in any state without engineering compliance.

Well that was the most precise interpretation Ive come across. Im in Adelaide also, and have a set of VF SS brakes Im looking to put onto it. Glad to know with SA that it won't be an issue

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Well that was the most precise interpretation Ive come across. Im in Adelaide also, and have a set of VF SS brakes Im looking to put onto it. Glad to know with SA that it won't be an issue
SA are pretty slack with brake mods; you can virtually fit anything bigger than stock without engineering compliance and remain fully legal.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I don't think you need to tap anything. Just drill the callipers to have the 14mm bolt pass through.