Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High octane fuel and the truth

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
When I use e10 i find i get longer distances in city driving, equally as responsive as 98 however the second i go out of the city or do any long distance driving, it doesn't compare.
91 is honestly garbage, car is totally unresponsive, sudden movements in the car causes a good 3 second delay, car shakes, and general poor fuel economy.
98 on the other hand i've noticed that is runs far better, can't feel the car vibrate, good fuel economy on long distances (~8L / 100km 110km country / highway driving)
Far more responsive, however increased fuel consumption in city over e10 but not as much as 91.

That was for the VZ Commodore, Otherwise I find the Kingswood works far better on 98 then 95, also more responsive, I get around 400km to a tank with fuel additive.
The VB Commodore I haven't really experimented with but when i got the car it was running on 91 with fuel additive and I also noticed the car was shaking a far bit, once I put 98 in with fuel additive I notice a big difference in overall responsiveness of the car.

Edit: I should say I have experimented with a range of 98 petrol from various stations and i've found that Shell & Mobil have the best quality, On the other hand i've bought 98 form caltex, BP and others and found that it was very poor quality, so i guess it's hit and miss.

Wasn't the Kingswood designed to run on leaded fuel? If so it needs 98 and the LR additive, anything less and it should definitely have a noticeable difference.

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
Wasn't the Kingswood designed to run on leaded fuel? If so it needs 98 and the LR additive, anything less and it should definitely have a noticeable difference.

Very true, I travel with the KW a fair bit and sometimes in country towns I can only find 95 :-(
Poor Car...

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
hmm, i use premium now. only reason is because it runs smoother and i get more out of a tank. It's only another $5 - $10 a week. who really cares? lol

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
On the subject of Premium unleaded, has anybody else found their local stations now selling 100 grade PULP instead of 98? Our local Metro has new labelling on the PULP pumps indicating that it's now 100 RON.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
The main reason to use premium either 95 or 98 ron is that the it
has more cleaning power and
helps prevent varnish build up on injectors from heat soak
helps prevent detonation and minimises fatigue to engine parts when measured over the life of a vehicle
fuel economy benefits are one small part of the picture

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
The main reason to use premium either 95 or 98 ron is that the it
has more cleaning power and
helps prevent varnish build up on injectors from heat soak
helps prevent detonation and minimises fatigue to engine parts when measured over the life of a vehicle
fuel economy benefits are one small part of the picture

The main reason to use Premium fuels is if your car is tuned to run on said fuels. Otherwise the effects are minimal, especially re. the cost.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
The main reason to use Premium fuels is if your car is tuned to run on said fuels. Otherwise the effects are minimal, especially re. the cost.

You need to re read my post.

There are benefits to using premium unleaded even if your vehicle can run on regular unleaded.

I am not going to debate research it yourself.

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
omg is this one giant circle ! I watched on ACA they did a test on 91 95 98, and 98 got the best mileage to the dollar, but I wouldn't use them as a bible so I'll go into real life proof

I own a VT s pack and a VX R8 clubby and both get better mileage on the premium, the s-pack gets at least 100km more, mind you these are all 100km/h driving conditions, also on 91 you snap back to 3rd go to over take and bam ! misfire and its a prick ! on 98 no such problem, would never run anything less then 98 in the clubby but, I love it too much :p

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
You need to re read my post.

There are benefits to using premium unleaded even if your vehicle can run on regular unleaded.

I am not going to debate research it yourself.

I read it, I maintain my point, your position essentially that of most companies such as Shell - the ones that sell the petroleum. I research, but I look at all the opinions.

Cleaning power? 98 itself has no more cleaning power than 91, some fuel companies claim to put in additives that help clean your engine - the evidence for which is marginal. The RACV say "Premium unleaded products are also marketed as having various detergents that claim to provide cleansing benefits to vehicle engines." Take everything a salesman says with a grain of salt.

Fatigue to "engine parts". Proper servicing and oil changes, combined driving style, is the way to prolong engine life.
Fuel economy is the most noticeable to most cars, but isn't cost effective.

Older cars, pre 1986, can benefit from the higher octane:
premium unleaded petrol (PULP) - RACV

Article about an RACV report:
Filling up? Don't pay for premium - www.drive.com.au

This is what Shell say about their fuels benefits, showing that they are bit optimistic based on critical reports:
Caltex Australia: Vortex Premium Fuels - Vortex 98, Vortex 95, Vortex Diesel

5th Gear test, shows that cars tuned for higher fuels, can utilise it better:
5th Gear - High Octane Fuels - YouTube

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
Alot depends on many minor differences between cars, by this i mean, every engine is not identical in every minute detail.
My father in law owns a car yard, I have driven more varied cars than i've had hot dinners and found that every so often you get a car with what i call an exceptional engine, one comes to mind a vs wagon which regularly got 700 kays a tank long distance yet other vs commodores i've driven (gosford to lismore) only manage 500-600.
I've had same model cars respond more to higher octane fuels than others. I've had good batches of fuel and bad.
It's not inconcievable to get gr8 mileage on a car with higher octane fuel, but usually only on well looked after vehicles and/or ones that seem to have a very good engine.
I've pulled apart so far 80 engines in the last 10 years and you can tell the ones that were really well built from the ones that were average and you can also tell the ones that were looked after compared to the neglected ones.... What i'm trying to say is some people may have freak cars and engines that respond exceptionally well whereas most of us dont.

When you start measuring internally the differences between two stock identical engines and find that due to manufacturing tolerances that one has more compression ratio than the other, slightly lower deck heights, more closely weighted pistons etc than the other... it's not suprising to find one had far more power and economy than the other...

Then add in our geographic locations, air density on the day, elevation etc... the ecu fudges the ignition timings and fuel mixtures to keep a baseline seamlessly, different conditions yield different percieved power outputs and noted fuel economy...

Fuel is only one aspect of the whole picture

I'm tired, i guess i'm saying i take little stock in anyone who want's to go around saying this and that is a definate yes and no when it comes to whether or not higher ocatane fuel makes worthwhile difference or not. Too many varied factors.

My old EB Falcon Tow car felt constrained on 91 but had good economy. 95 felt no real difference but no change to economy. 98 it felt very willing but economy went poorly. Yet after driving a friends EB at the time, mine went a hell of alot harder and used far less fuel than theirs did when i had to use it for 3 weeks.

Engine components are mated by Wear. Made by man made machines, Assembled in an environment that has "tolerance" limits not "perfectely identical to exact specifications" Driven by human beings whom are all different, driven in different areas with different environmental factors.

If you feel like paying for 98 and it feels/seems to make enough of a difference to you in your car... fine use it... if not... well do waht you like.

I just dont like seeing a heap of people thinking this topic should be a "black and white" way of seeing whether or not the OP's point of view is valid or not seeing as it's all subjective in standard vehicles.

Bear in mind, none of this relates to vehicles built and designed specifically for higher ocatane fuels.

My vh ss has to run 98 due to engine mods requiring it (bored 40thou, decked 30thou with flat-tops). In the cheap run abouts i get around in... ... depends on the car's response to the fuel used.

To each their own