Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High octane fuel and the truth

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I would say that the 5kw gain is because they have had thicker oil originally in the engine then they switch to one with a lubricant (or synthetic maybe not sure though) which will let the engine work more freely and in essence easier creating less strain equaling more power if you get my drift plus I don't think the Rigoli brothers would post this up if it's bull$hit.

I don't know everything about cars in fact very little so don't shoot me for saying this.

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Wrong!

If you actually had a clue about anything you would undertstand that bp ultimate, a higher octane fuel that has an octane rating of 98 actually makes your car gain performance and fuel economly.. Plenty of people have actually proved it. I know that my car on 91 does not get as far per tank as what i get if i run my car on 98 for a sustained period of time!

Now i know that alot of people thing marketing is just marketing, but if you have a look in the bp 98 brochure alot of stuff in there is true and actually makes sence.

Now as for you saying an ecotec that is made for 91 octane, wont benefit? It quite clearly WILL! It will gain fuel economy and it will have increased acceleration and such...

But if you refuse the facts this is your choice and no one will tell you differently.

But anyway! If you say it is **** and shouldn't be used you obviously have a stock car and don't care for the performance of your vehicle so why tell people something and you dont care about just to prove a stupid point that isnt correct?

Im not goin to waste anymore of my own, or anyone elses time making them read my post's for something that isn't even important. Its a personal choice, its not up to you to tell everyone what they should and shouldnt use.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Blah Blah Blah !!!

Yeah DK seems like you are wasting your time, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

Man threads like this make me lol.

If you want a clue go here and watch this video, its got laymans terms for dummies that argue about things they dont know about.

Episode 10 Now Online – The Fuel Test | OzGarage

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL

GenReaper Your exactly right mate, there will always be someone who objects reality and subsitutes to their own, even when proven wrong time and time again..

Ah well, That video doesn't have much relevant information to the argument. But does prove that for your car to perform well it must be run on a higher octanne fuel. So if you were to say run e85, e10 or even 91 RON in your stock car the power figures would be substantially different than if you were to run your car on 98 RON. Because of the fact that even that high performance car had to have ignition timing removed for it to perform well on those fuels.

Ths stock ignition timing yes will run well on lower octane fuels but will defianantly benifit from a higher octane fuel in both performance and engine wear characteristics..

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You won't get a noticible HP gain though, Which is my arguement to people who claim their car is faster on 98ron. It's all in their head.
I did say any engine will probably benifit, due to cleaner burn and the fact that the higher combustion temperatures will clean the combustion chamber.

Honestly an RB30 would probably benifit more from 98ron then a Buick or Ecotec.
I'm unsure of the compression, but aren't they 10:1 in standard form?

RB30 was light years ahead of the Buick... Buick was just bigger.

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
No they are a 9.5:1 compression ratio.. See now that you have been proven wrong you are starting to change your story? I never said HP gain i said increased acceleration and performance, I did not say HP gain.

You can have acceleration gain without gaining any extra hp you know?

Anyway, seriously last coment i put on this post its just getting stupid now..

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I use 91 cos my car is crap anyway:computer:

Not worth a extra $20 or whatever every time I go through a tank to me.

Damn Straight! If I ran premium every day I'd spend more than the cars worth in about a month..

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
VE II Omega Ute; Fairmont Ghia
So, what do i run in my Ford XR8 Ute?

The book says 95

So is E10 OK?

It's 95 isn't it - or so the Mobil sign says

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
So, what do i run in my Ford XR8 Ute?

The book says 95

So is E10 OK?

It's 95 isn't it - or so the Mobil sign says

Ethanol has a higher octane rating that regular petrol, so usually blends have a higher RON than regular unleaded - if the sign at Mobil says it's 95 then I'd believe it.

Double check your book as they often mention if ethanol fuels are Ok or not for that model. Generally cars made after 1990 are Ok on E10, but check your manual, or call Ford to confirm.