Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High pitched whining noise coming from Engine Bay

rokkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII
Guys

Currently experiencing a whining noise coming from I think the engine.
The noise is not constant and is mainly apparent when accelerating.

I first thought it was a mechanical whine but its so high pitched and the
way it cuts in and out it could possibly be electrical.

When traveling 80klm when in 4th(auto) then slightly accelerate the whine
comes as the revs go up and then goes with the revs still increasing.

Almost sounds like a siren at a distance as it the whine slowly become audible and then fades out. The whine noise still increases its pitch even while in 3rd changing to forth, so is not solely rev dependant.

It sounds like it coming from the dash tweeters but covered them
with no difference. Having the eliminate control and stereo off makes
no difference. Running on petrol or gas makes no deference

Have changed sparks (with new NGK) with no difference, my other guess it maybe Ignition leads (only 2 months old). Alternator maybe?

Any Help appreciated

(2004 VY Berlina V6 on tartarini Gas)

Cheers

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Hey mate,

its hard to diagnose a "high pitched whining noise" without hearing it... But usually its caused by the alternator recharging the battery.

EG, if you leave your stereo on for 8 hours and partly flatten your battery, when you drive the car you'll hear that high pitched noise.

To see if thats the case, measure your battery level (engine off), turn everything electrical in the car off (Eg lights, stereo etc) and see if the noise goes away.

If your battery is getting old it can cause added drain on the alternator, again causing that noise.

Good luck.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
split vacuum hose.
failed diode in alternator.
noisy steering pump.
dry idler bearing's.

rokkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII
Thanks guys I will investigate and report back.

Further to the above the whine is only apparent while the car is under load/medium acceleration, fades in and fades out, and last for about 10 seconds at any one time. When cruising at a fixed speed no whine apparent, then accelerate again it fades in again and while still accelerating it will fade out again while the revs are still increasing.

When I first heard with my radio on, I thought it was a police siren at some distance away.

Cheers

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Thanks guys I will investigate and report back.

Further to the above the whine is only apparent while the car is under load/medium acceleration, fades in and fades out, and last for about 10 seconds at any one time. When cruising at a fixed speed no whine apparent, then accelerate again it fades in again and while still accelerating it will fade out again while the revs are still increasing.

When I first heard with my radio on, I thought it was a police siren at some distance away.

Cheers

if comming threw the radio, failed diode in alternator

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If the whine only comes at under load (While reving up or down), then I would assume something trying to prevent the belt speeding up. For example failed bearings or the water pump can do this due to not be able to spin up or down faster thus causing belt slip over the the belt wheel.

I may be far from it but try removing the belt and spin each bearings and see which is not freely moving.