Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High speed shudder

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys.

I got my new wheels fitted a few months back (17" with cheapo zetum tyres)

I had them balanced from bob janes when I bought them but it didn't really feel right around town and at 110km/h on the freeway the wheel was shuddering like crazy.

So I took it to bridgestones near my place and paid to get it rebalanced again, they said bob janes had done a crap job and they had fixed it.

But its still shuddering just as bad at 110 like the wheels were never balanced in the first place.

I have a 1200km round trip coming up next weekend all sitting at high speeds and would like to get this fixed before I go for safety and comfort.

Anyone know what could be causing this, its been balanced three times now and still no difference....I have jacked the car up and no play in the wheels so its not tie rod ends.

Car is a 96 VS live axle on Superlows and monroe GT gas shocks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hi Guys.

I got my new wheels fitted a few months back (17" with cheapo zetum tyres)

I had them balanced from bob janes when I bought them but it didn't really feel right around town and at 110km/h on the freeway the wheel was shuddering like crazy.

So I took it to bridgestones near my place and paid to get it rebalanced again, they said bob janes had done a crap job and they had fixed it.

But its still shuddering just as bad at 110 like the wheels were never balanced in the first place.

I have a 1200km round trip coming up next weekend all sitting at high speeds and would like to get this fixed before I go for safety and comfort.

Anyone know what could be causing this, its been balanced three times now and still no difference....I have jacked the car up and no play in the wheels so its not tie rod ends.

Car is a 96 VS live axle on Superlows and monroe GT gas shocks

^^^ That will most likely be your problem.

beauzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro v2
Put some different wheels on your car and take it for a test drive. If it still shutters with different wheels then check all your bushes and wheel allignment.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Put some different wheels on your car and take it for a test drive. If it still shutters with different wheels then check all your bushes and wheel allignment.

Don't have any spare wheels, but will check over all the bushes....I did replace them all within the last 6 months.

Don't know if its the cheap tyres as I have had them on previous cars and a couple of mates with commodores have the same ones and they are ok too

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
Don't have any spare wheels, but will check over all the bushes....I did replace them all within the last 6 months.

Don't know if its the cheap tyres as I have had them on previous cars and a couple of mates with commodores have the same ones and they are ok too
Hello Someguy, if its not the new tyres maybe check to see if one or more of your brake discs is bent slightly and not running (spinning) true.

EDIT - Thats only if its happening whilst braking.

Last edited:

beauzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro v2
did you change your castor bushes? If your control arm has any movement in it, it can wobble when you get up some speed.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
All bushes are good, had it up on the hoist and went over everything on the weekend (there is a bit of wear/play in the rear lower control arms but the shudder definitely feels front end related)

The shudder seems to be occuring at low speeds too (60,70 when cruising in 4th) and also when braking......then gets particularly bad between 100-120km/h

The only thing left to try is the tyres so I have a mate bringing a set of stockies with RE92's down tonight to test and see if it makes any difference.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ahhhh...more info comes to light.

The shuddering under brakes will be warped rotors. Sometimes this can cause a high speed vibration as well.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ahhhh...more info comes to light.

The shuddering under brakes will be warped rotors. Sometimes this can cause a high speed vibration as well.

Well its not happening just under high speed anymore.....its also just cruising at 60 its not really noticeable at that speed unless your paying attention but its still there