Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High tech thief?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Mine also occasionally doesn't lock walking away from the vehicle. I try to press the handle button everytime now. Same as when you get in.

common fault that... only way to fix it is STAND STILL
until the car locks itself (and yes I am serious!, Holden and the dealer advised the same)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
So all a thief needs to have is some patients. He could simply slide under the car to short some wiring through a resistor. Some, many hours later the battery may be low enough for the system to unlock the doors. On his return, he could simply open the now unlocked car.

What a great design Holden :eek::oops:

.. same applies to BMW MAzda Audi VW Porsche Ford Mitsubishi Toyota vehicles

Any vehicle that has central locking of any description will be affected if that occurs

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Smitty, I’ve never previously heard that keyless entry systems default to unlocking doors when the battery goes low? The first I hear was on this VF forum so assumed it was Holden specific design.

If other brand manufacturers do the same thing, in my opinion it’s still a poor design choice.

When the battery goes flat, why not simple leave the vehicle locked and the owner could use their old mechanical key to open the vehicle, pop the bonnet or boot and change the battery? In my view this seems like a more secure default.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Smitty, I’ve never previously heard that keyless entry systems default to unlocking doors when the battery goes low? The first I hear was on this VF forum so assumed it was Holden specific design.

If other brand manufacturers do the same thing, in my opinion it’s still a poor design choice.

When the battery goes flat, why not simple leave the vehicle locked and the owner could use their old mechanical key to open the vehicle, pop the bonnet or boot and change the battery? In my view this seems like a more secure default.

has happened on my missus' BMW and my daughter's Mazda .. plus a work car here, a Kia Sorento and the boss' Porsche Macan when the battery died
so I assume it is world wide industry practice (maybe a safety feature? so people cannot get locked IN?)