Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Higher octane fuels - your own comments.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yeah same here, I get about 40km extra per tank with about 75% of the time normal driving and 25% hard driving.

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
it really doesnt bother me what i use as i stated in previes threads but i prefer vpower coz it actually cleans unlike other fuels only there for more performance i was told.

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
i get around 100 km's difference. The VT on the highway trip with just normal, then with ultimate had a 100 km difference doing the same return trip.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Never mind, It's cool, I should have edited out the typo long ago so the simple minds AKA "those that think they know it all" will hopefully just go back to doing wheelies in the rain.
Unfortunately it generally shows the IQ rarely matches the HP, Hero ? I sincerely doubt it, just another Zero.

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Im out in the sticks (kinda not really but we dont even have a maccas or BK...) so i only use normal unleaded.... ran a tank of Premium in my old stato and it ran like a POS so havent been game to try it again... but i have a selection of Habibs dodgey kebab fuel and Joes country fried fuel.... meh most of the time im running on LP gas anyway... cant get a "bad batch" of gas... well that Ive heard of...

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I find it odd that some cars seem to get no difference between std unleaded and the higher octane fuels, sure conventional PULP over std unleaded would be unlikely to do what 98 does but at least it should make for a smoother running engine with some other benefits, given that the engine is running properly in the first place.

My calais being still fairly new shows no massive power increase "and I have no desire to wring it's guts out on any dyno to test the actual power", but fuel consumption is at least 10% better over a full tank and it does run smoother, so the added initial fuel cost is not a problem.

However, the old VS wagon I gave the daughter last year has shown a huge difference in everything, town fuel consumption dropped a good 20%, highway means an easy 700 k per tank, but that engine never went under 450 k per tank on std fuel when driven hard. BTW At those times I saw others that were lucky to get 300 k driving easy so it would be fair to say some cars needed a good tune up or the drivers needed revised driving habits.

Up here it's sometimes like being lost in the desert as we would have to drive 40k to buy PULP as it was not sold in town, with the BP going Caltex and offering all three fuels it made buying it a tad simpler.

On the cars here that have shown no increase there is possibly three things, the fuels were mixed together, they needed some work done on them or it's very possible in these days of high prices they are buying fuel that is not exactly true to the label, it does happen, others here (also commodores) that have changed over have found substantial differences so it's not just me, the fuel is very different.

I did mention that mixing std unleaded and PULP is not the thing to do, (Ask the fuel company if in doubt), they are different fuels that do not mix properly and should not be mixed into anything more than a near empty tank, in practice it would be ideal if the tank was drained first before changing fuels, and buying your fuel at the same place (a bit like I have to) and doing it all the time if possible would be preferred.

The difference to the std unleaded and PULP that was sold out of town was at least a good 10% but the Vortex now sold here is vastly different again and does way more than what a new set of plugs might do, and why I wondered if anyone else saw the improvement, obviously some do, as for the rest there must be other variables in play, it would be impossible to see no difference...

For the doubters or just curious, my boat carried 800 lit of fuel under deck, at 5600 rpm it used 5.2 lit per mile (for both engines), (think on that figure for a sec) so the difference between using std unleaded and the PULP meant nearly "200" lit less fuel per trip, at the exact same revs, it ran much smoother, would start quicker and had noticeably more power, so the differences are not just an odd litre or two, but in that case 25% less, go figure ? engines are engines be it on water or not.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Twin Turb's. there is the odd bad batch of gas. there qas one in WA a coupla years ago that was killing parts of the system

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you guys have way to much choice over there, here, your lucky if you can choose from 3 different octane ratings full stop(at one servo)let alone pulp??. most servos have 91 and 95, some have there own brand of 98 like like vortex or ultimate. i believe that gull recently added an e10 95ron to there pumps but if they have that then you can't get the regular 95.

as for power differences i can't really say. i've only run 91 in both the VN and VS. think i'm gonna try either 95 or 98 in the VN cause i just need a little more grunt to get into the 14sec 1/4mile times and with the higher octane ratings i'll be able to up the tune a touch.

i've been keeping track the last couple of months of fuel usage and mileage as i've completed different mods and a few Gtech runs for power comparisons. guess i'll do the same for what ever fuel i end up using, might try 95 first and then try 98 in a month or 2 and see if there is a noticable difference.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I find it odd that some cars seem to get no difference between std unleaded and the higher octane fuels, sure conventional PULP over std unleaded would be unlikely to do what 98 does but at least it should make for a smoother running engine with some other benefits, given that the engine is running properly in the first place.

It is the same as when you give 10 people a tablet and 10 a placebo. A large % of those that got the placebo will report any result that you suggest should happen because that is what they are looking for (even though those results are not actually there).

Reaper.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
digisol what the reasons for not mixing ulp and pulp and would that be the same for mixing 95 and 98?
thanks