Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Higher rpm torque converter

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the simplest way to describe a high stall converter is to compare it to the old manual setup. it's basically like revving the engine higher before letting the clutch out. example, the standard converter stalls about 1800rpm, so it's like a clutch thats engaged but slips until it hits 1800rpm, fitting the high stall, lets say 2500rpm you let the clutch out much later and it doesn't lock up untill 2500rpm. the down side of a high stall is that you loose some engine responce down low in the rev range unless you give it a bootfull when you take off and therefor you will loose some fuel economy cause when your cruizing and the converter hasn't reached it's stall point some of the power produced by the engine is lost in converter slippage which brings me to the other problem with high stall converters which is the extra heat they create, when the converter slips it created a lot of heat which is a sure fire way to an early transmition failure so a bigger/better trans cooler will be needed. high stall converters are good for drag racing but not really required untill you start fitting much bigger cams with lots of duration which don't make lots of grunt untill higher in the rev range and therefor a high stall is required otherwise the engine will bogg of the line etc your probably better of fitting a better cam first etc

edit: not exactly sure about the torque curve of the VP V6 but i know the VN s1 V6 makes about 90% of available torque from 1200rpm so there would be no need to fit a high stall for an engine like this

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
1991_Vn2nV said:
Dont forget a 3.73 ratio :p Thats my pick of the bunch :)
Cool i didn't know they had that all the diff places said only said 2 ratios. that seem like a perfect one for not revving it's knocker off on the freeway.
VNV6VENGEANCE said:
1/4 mile times would not be improved from stock, they would just look better as the rpm that you would have been using normally without the stall would not be optimised and properly used on take off. easy explanation. when you didn't have the stall converter you would have to rev the engine to around 2500rpm, hope that you've got the right rpm under your foot then accelerate. some time would be lost in human error.

mated with an lsd/minispool, shift kit a 2500rpm would be good for gettin the initial jump on your opponent in a drag no doubt about it.

Tacho be fine for what? all i meant is with a tacho you can watch your revs yourself instead of using a stall converter.
So when at the drags instead of braking and revving it up you only need to floor it?. And it's got good launch.
But are you saying just shift with your rpm gauge and don't bother with the stall learn your cars area and save some money:D.
immortality said:
the simplest way to describe a high stall converter is to compare it to the old manual setup. it's basically like revving the engine higher before letting the clutch out. example, the standard converter stalls about 1800rpm, so it's like a clutch thats engaged but slips until it hits 1800rpm, fitting the high stall, lets say 2500rpm you let the clutch out much later and it doesn't lock up untill 2500rpm. the down side of a high stall is that you loose some engine responce down low in the rev range unless you give it a bootfull when you take off and therefor you will loose some fuel economy cause when your cruizing and the converter hasn't reached it's stall point some of the power produced by the engine is lost in converter slippage which brings me to the other problem with high stall converters which is the extra heat they create, when the converter slips it created a lot of heat which is a sure fire way to an early transmition failure so a bigger/better trans cooler will be needed. high stall converters are good for drag racing but not really required untill you start fitting much bigger cams with lots of duration which don't make lots of grunt untill higher in the rev range and therefor a high stall is required otherwise the engine will bogg of the line etc your probably better of fitting a better cam first etc

edit: not exactly sure about the torque curve of the VP V6 but i know the VN s1 V6 makes about 90% of available torque from 1200rpm so there would be no need to fit a high stall for an engine like this
So it's like holding the clutch on take off revving it up then popping it for a high rpm take off instead of auto launch which drops down. This might not be good for me as i havent even been to the drags with this car or any car:D. I'm looking to one night but now maybe the LSD shift kit is all i need?.

I'm not sure myself where the VP makes it's torque from, But i do know they are close but i think VN's are better off the mark and VP's better as the speed increases?.