Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hints for the 1/4 mile

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
planning on running down the quarter mile soon for the first time. ive got some semi slicks 255s 16s. just wanta know what pressure to put in. and any other tips.

i got a manual vr ute 355.hp w/ 4.11s

what revs to stall up to on take off?

ive also heard people take off in second for better times. should i?

any other little tips would be great. thanks guys.

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
any one?.........

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
Ill try to answer the questions.

-Tyre pressure would be around 18psi cold,after the burnout it will have around 20psi in it which is what suits my semis fine.What brand are you using ect?As soon as you see a decent plume of smoke(not see through)get off the brake if on it and slowly stage.Do the skid at the end of the water spray(last foot)as to not wet your guards underneath and having water drip on tyres.This may be able to be done in 2nd(burnout)?

-Because you have the semis and assuming they are still grippy and not old Im going to suggest 4000 rpm launches with clutch control of some sort,I dont know how your engine behaves or condition of track.Its not a case of in or out,what clutch does it run?

-Dont take-off in 2nd.

-Use your handbrake to roll gently into deepstage(1 light on),pull handbrake to stop you,dial up the revs and release clutch/handbrake at the same time if you want to attack the 60ftrs.@ lights if you just want to keep it simple.Its all in when you like to leave when the tree is dropping.As soon as the last yellow is up(I means soon as lol)release the clutch,dont wait for the green:)

-Dont worry about the person next to you,run your own race.

-Shiftpoints are critical to ET's,memorize the exact optimum numbers.

-When you get back go over the vehicle for any abnormalities,check tyre pressures if going back out(2psi less in burnout so it gains to the psi you need)

-Dont be afraid to experiment with techniques,its a gradual step up usually to the best ET your vehicle can get due to so many variables on the day/s.

-Have fun and keep hydrated.

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
thanks mate helps heaps , not sure of the clutch brand but its a heavy duty. the semis are worn but 50% left in them. not sure of the brand ill have to go have a look later.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
keep us updated on the times?

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
yeh mate, wont be for awhile but ill let ya's kno

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
no1 else has any tips?

BradSV8

Nitrous Junkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
You shouldn't use your handbrake if its your first time out, it will only complicate things. Your car will not roll as the track will be flat. Stop your burnout short of the start line and roll up to it slowly until the car is staged. Hold your clutch at the friction point and bring up the RPM as the the lights start. When you launch try different rpms. Start at say 2000 and go up in 500rpm increments till you find out what works the best. Also SLIP the clutch do not drop it, if you drop the clutch the car will never hook up and you will most likely break something. When I say slip the clutch I mean take off like you would in the rain, just a quick slip so the wheels don't spin. This is hard too do but once you work it out you will be very consistant and quick off the start line.
Also dont worry bout trying to get killer reaction times off the tree. If it is your first time out take your time and concentrate on launching the car it doesn't matter if your reaction is .3 or 2 seconds just concentrate on getting a good 60 foot. You should be aiming for around a 1.7-1.9 sixty foot time depending on track conditions. On a good track you should be able to see these sort of 60 foot times on regular street tyres.

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
thanks mate. i have alot to practice. i might practice sliping the clutch around the streets a bit first so im ready for the big day lol

BradSV8

Nitrous Junkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Just dont slip it too much driving around otherwise you will fark the clutch. It should only take around a 1/2 a second to a second in the total travel of the pedal the is a fine line between a quick slip and dropping the clutch.