Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hit a kerb and damaged k frame

OzNath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Manual
I recently aqua planed at a 100 on the freeway in my VT V6 manual and jumped the medium strip took a small sign down. Bent my rear control arm, shattered my rear brake caliper and snapped a drive shaft also bent my exhaust. Drove it home from Newcastle to Gosford with half my wheel hanging out the guard scrubbing out, got home and my brake caliper and pad were glowing red =). About a $120 fix from the wreckers untill i recently found the welding on one of my strut towers completely come apart haha still drives fine lesson learnt. Replace bald front tyres as they can't wash water away when yah hit a lake on the freeway =)

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
If the full weight of the front of the car was slammed onto a solid concrete curb through the k-frame it's easily possible for pre-existing stress fractures to let go completely. We're not talking about a 2 year old car here boys and girls. If you've EVER bottomed out over a concrete curb and heard that bone shattering thump through the chassis it isn't hard to believe at all.

If they were going faster the k-frame would probably be better off with just scraping along. Gravity is bloody powerful.

Agree with VRSenator065 too, support the engine with an engine crane and you won't need to remove as much to swap out the k-frame.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Same I don't know how you could damage the K frame at such a low speed unless there was already previously damage to it but even then. I was doing about 60kmph when I fecked mine up lost the rear too quick couldn't catch it quick enough and front drivers side wheel up into the guard upon reaching the gutter. Was lucky to get it stopped and not hit the brick wall just a meter away. was also the death of 2 of my supersports (RIP). As said above motor out and a big job. My steering rack and lower control arrm was fecked too, oh and the inner guard tore away from the strut tower, just had it repaired on the jig about a month ago (engine out for that 1 too).

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I recently aqua planed at a 100 on the freeway in my VT V6 manual and jumped the medium strip took a small sign down. Bent my rear control arm, shattered my rear brake caliper and snapped a drive shaft also bent my exhaust. Drove it home from Newcastle to Gosford with half my wheel hanging out the guard scrubbing out, got home and my brake caliper and pad were glowing red =). About a $120 fix from the wreckers untill i recently found the welding on one of my strut towers completely come apart haha still drives fine lesson learnt. Replace bald front tyres as they can't wash water away when yah hit a lake on the freeway =)

I highly doubt your strut tower is cracked. Have a closer look & you will (most likely) see that it's the resin that goes around all the joints in the car. This is what cracks & everybody thinks the strut tower is weak & cracked.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Well, believe it or not...that is exactly what happened; hit a curb at "less" than 10 km/h and damaged the K frame.
I've even put up a drawing on how it happened. All you gotta do is use your brains to deduce that a faster speed wouldn't even be possible in that situation.

I didn't mention the speed so i can start an argument about at what speeds the K frame would get damaged. I mentioned it so i could know the possible extent of the damage beyond the K frame. I guess that right now is redundant since you guys are stuck at the K frame being damaged at those speeds. Don't blame ya thou...i myself wouldn't have believed it would have been possible to damage the K frame at less than 10 km/h...hence my surprise when it happened. But hell, you learn new things everyday.

Sometimes i feel like this site is full of kids...judging by the stupid, immature, useless responses you sometimes get. So very different from the similar American sites where the replies are intelligent and beneficial. Like the bloke a few posts up telling me to be honest...like why in the world would i have to lie to you?...i don't even know you...and even if i did....like seriously, why would i lie when the accuracy of the information i am seeking depends on what you are saying i am lying about. Bet you didn't think that far...guess what that says about you?

Anyway, i just want to know what is attached to the K frame and which of the bolts of what is attached to the K frame are TTY. That's it.

Cheers!

Okay then...
Take it to a ####ing mechanic or get someone that knows what they're looking for! Is it really that hard?
Without detailed pictures of every piece connecting to the k frame (from different angles mind you) we CAN NOT help you!!

So you should assume everything is broken & get a professional to fix it!!

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hope this helps mate

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790424.014134.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790424.014134.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 386
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790435.646360.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790435.646360.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 288

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I'll try again with larger pics

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790611.143324.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790611.143324.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 692
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790626.493927.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394790626.493927.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 389

OzNath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Manual
The welding is completly split in half on the top of the strut tower about 20 cm long, i know it's broken because the other strut tower has the welding there and i think the cars bent too. But still drives normal =)

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yep that's what happened to mine it will get worse if you keep driving it.