Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hj ute 308

Jbird

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY monaro
This is my hj ute that i have loved and hated and now love again im trying to get it registered then i can go a bit more nuts with mods etc. When i bought it the engine was in pieces but some how the old gal still had some life in her and i got it running however it wasnt up to saftey standards, here is some pics as it progressed.

Before rebuild
Image012.jpg

Image013.jpg

Image015.jpg

After rebuild (1st one):
Image025.jpg

b8226f7a.jpg

82b5be13.jpg

more pics to come

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
holy shizzleburger.

that is nice!

got some stats on it?

Jbird

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY monaro
thanks, i dont know what stats i can give you but it is a genuine 2 seater Hj 308 with a aussie 4sp on the floor but it already had a resto before I had the car and it was converted to turbo or trimatic i still dont know. The engine is all starndard i have gts extractors that will go on after the roady but i plan to put a 355 stroker in the near future and turbo it in the distant future.

this is the current status of the car, fixing the floors.

And my two rear GTS got some new 8 inch dish with a 3inch offset, i found out the other day they stopped making 265/50/14s so ill have to settle with 245s

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Such a nice template to start with :) What attention do the floors need? I'm doing mine at the moment, so I may be able to sympathise :p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Don't know if you want to, but you should have gone 15". Much better tyre size selection/range.

Nice project all the same though....Can't sympathise with the floor rust, mine didn't/hasn't got 1 spec of rust in the floor. It did however, have rust in most of the other usual spots.

Ever thought about going injection?

Jbird

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY monaro
Yeh I bought the car with 14s and couldn't afford new 15s gts. My floor is almost finished, I'll get some pics up soon, I got some brand new floor plans from rare spares then if ur good with the welder it's no problem. I had small pin holes in front drivers and rear passangers. Biggest hole was about 20cent piece It wasn't in too bad of shape but one thing for sure is I'm not going to use the doormat insulation which was in there, that was the main cause of the rust, it's literally a sponge I'm gonna do some research before I put new carpet

21AZI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
nice car mate

Jbird

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY monaro
here are my floors all fixed and painted with my special blend of anti-rust
it consists of:
4 part killrust oil based enamal
1 part body deadener to kill sound and strong backing
plenty of super fine zinc powder acts as a sacrificial metal
finally 1 part anhydrous magnesium sulfate which reduces moisture for quite some time

painted it thick and hopefully shouldn't have it change it for a good 10-15 years

1a7b63c0.jpg

ec5ca027.jpg

9357ab3c.jpg