Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden 3.8lt Turbo or S/C??

irws85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Well, supercharger is cheaper, but turbo will get a bigger bang.
looking at bout $20,000 you could have your ecotec a good rival against any worked v8
i'm talking 440 RW HP/ 330 RW KW from just a GT30 setup
thats talkin 0km-100km in 4seconds
of cause with a good stall converter etc etc
but 4sec's from a V6 think about it, the new 6L 297kw V8 HSV R8 only does it in 5.1 seconds!

you can do it for bout $14,000
but if your gonna do it, do it right the first time and upgrade the things that are gonna go, e.g, diff, gear box, tail shaft, brakes, and take your motor to an engineering company, and have it modified to handle the compression of a Turbo application, Face it otherwise your just gonna keep blowing it up!!

Even VL boys have that problem, rebuild an RB30 chuck the turbo on, bye bye pistons and con rods, yet buy a second hand motor from the wreckers, turbo it and drives a real treat!

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
i somehow dont think frandy needs a car that can do 0-100 in 4secs :p
And not for 20,000 (thats the value of my car lol)

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
familyguy said:
isnt the VT and onwards S-model a supercharged Ecotech? (Any internal work done on these or is it just a bolt on and reconfig ECU?)
The only things basically common to the L67 (Super6) and the L36 (Ecotec) is the block, sump, rockers, pushrods and oil pump. Everything else internal is different (pistons, rods, bal shaft, heads etc). Check this FILE for more details. Plus you only get factory auto trans behind a L67.

Oh and VS was the first model fitted with the L67 ;)

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
How much roughyl for everything involved with a small single turbo setup