Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah all MSE colours look good, but spitfire isn't really Spitfire Green and I don't think the man-buns at Holden really knew the historical origin of the term son-of-gun. Context or hue has nothing to do with the colour of gunmetal.
Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 12.40.50 am.png

Origin
The phrase originated as 'son of a military man' (that is, a gun). The most commonly repeated version in this strand is that the British Navy used to allow women to live on naval ships. Any child born on board who had uncertain paternity would be listed in the ship's log as 'son of a gun'. While it is attest able fact that, although the Royal navy had rules against it, they did turn a blind eye to women (wives or prostitutes) joining sailors on voyages.
Basically has always been rough speak or "fighting words". Cool, I think?

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah all MSE colours look good, but spitfire isn't really Spitfire Green and I don't think the man-buns at Holden really knew the historical origin of the term son-of-gun. Context or hue has nothing to do with the colour of gunmetal.
View attachment 194263
Origin
The phrase originated as 'son of a military man' (that is, a gun). The most commonly repeated version in this strand is that the British Navy used to allow women to live on naval ships. Any child born on board who had uncertain paternity would be listed in the ship's log as 'son of a gun'. While it is attest able fact that, although the Royal navy had rules against it, they did turn a blind eye to women (wives or prostitutes) joining sailors on voyages.
Basically has always been rough speak or "fighting words". Cool, I think?
Maybe? Or maybe there's a cool story behind how they arrived at SOAG as a shade, with a modicum of illegitimacy as it were. They haven't used "metal" in the name, Nevertheless in some pics I'd swear I see an indigo tinge...
Spitfire, war plane?certainly a different green. But then, there are nasty little catepillars that live around here. If provoked, as kids are prone to doing, they sting the crap out of you. The burning and itching lasts for ages. You are left in no doubt as to who won the encounter. They have striking bright green warning paint on them. So as not to be mistaken for a lesser, placid and benign caterpillar. Spitfire is their name. Who knows?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Maybe? Or maybe there's a cool story behind how they arrived at SOAG as a shade, with a modicum of illegitimacy as it were. They haven't used "metal" in the name, Nevertheless in some pics I'd swear I see an indigo tinge...
Spitfire, war plane?certainly a different green. But then, there are nasty little catepillars that live around here. If provoked, as kids are prone to doing, they sting the crap out of you. The burning and itching lasts for ages. You are left in no doubt as to who won the encounter. They have striking bright green warning paint on them. So as not to be mistaken for a lesser, placid and benign caterpillar. Spitfire is their name. Who knows?

So this is the colour inspiration?
IMG_0093.jpg

When I first heard of / saw Spitfire Green, this was my immediate thought for the name / colour inspiration.
First thought that popped into my head when I heard son of a gun was dirty hard bastard. As a colour envisioned black canon oiled patina.
Wonderful really.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
That's exactly what Spitfire reminded me of, the prickly caterpillars from my mates backyard in Sydney when we were kids. Always thought they had red antennae too but couldn't find a good picture on the net.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 194264

First thought that popped into my head when I heard son of a gun was dirty hard bastard. As a colour envisioned black canon oiled patina.
Wonderful really.
View attachment 194264

Wonderful really.
received_1227505277395826.jpeg

This one.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
A 528 cube 1970 Hemi 'Cuda! The colour is spot on too.

Attachments

• received_1227523920727295.jpeg
    received_1227523920727295.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 620
Last edited: