Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Agree with Ron, I’d be trying Holden spares, they have (I believe) a 10yr obligation to carry parts post-manufacture.
I think the 10 became 7 a few years back, and if the supplier of the part goes out of business or stops manufacture that removes Holden's obligations. Not saying I wouldn't contact a dealer, just saying there's no guarantee.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I think the 10 became 7 a few years back, and if the supplier of the part goes out of business or stops manufacture that removes Holden's obligations. Not saying I wouldn't contact a dealer, just saying there's no guarantee.
That’s probably right Forg. You’d hope with the number of commodores still on the road, the aftermarket suppliers will step in to fill the void in any case. Won’t be as good as OEM, but in the case of all of us, beggars can’t be choosers I guess.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
It's pretty pitiful at the moment.
I'm having to wait 2 weeks for a new AC tube. Holden had no stock, had to come from a dealer in WA.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
At the moment, Holden are pretty well ****ed on all sides.
A semi-technical enquiry to HCC website at least got an answer ......... they didn't know, and referred me to a local dealer.
The same enquiry to the local dealer is probably still in their email in-box, and likely to stay there ......... or is in the too-hard file, and just been ignored.
How hard is it to officially identify what auto transmission is in a Crewman Cross6.

Almost makes me want to buy an old Mustang, so that after-market replacement parts can be sourced from the US. (That was a joke. )

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
How hard is it to officially identify what auto transmission is in a Crewman Cross6.
It’s as hard for them to state what the GVM of a sedan is :eek: And likewise that is something you’d think the manufacturer would and should know :mad:

Sadly HCC are seriously clueless people and Holden has gutted any knowledge held within the “subject matter experts” via retrenching these very experts…

In your case, aren’t there any casting numbers, stamped numbers, stickers or barcodes/QR codes on the gearbox itself? If so you can Google that which should give hints as to what you have. It’s a better strategy than calling/emailing HCC which is analogous to holding one’s breath…

PS: sure it’s been mentioned but build plate lists transmission RPO which should identify what transmission was installed at the factory…

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm having to wait 2 weeks for a new AC tube. Holden had no stock, had to come from a dealer in WA.

Or being told you have to wait for a part to come from Japan.....time indetermined.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

I believe you are correct.

It was Holden that muddied the waters by declaring they would have parts available for 10 years.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
In this case I’d be rather annoyed as any competent AC shop should be able to remanufacture your old pipe in house within an hour as it ain’t rocket science.

Really Holden is only interested in selling you another AC pipe (if your vehicle is outside warranty) or working within their rigid warranty rules and having you in a holding pattern while parts take forever to arrive as they can’t think outside the box (if it’s still in warranty). Their interest isn’t in minimising any disruption by sending you elsewhere for an immediate solution…

At least the wait isn’t occurring in the middle of a stinking hot summer :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I believe you are correct.

It was Holden that muddied the waters by declaring they would have parts available for 10 years.
The water’s have always been muddied.

The requirement to provide facilities for the repair of goods (and the provision of spare parts to allow repair) is defined within in s58 of the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), and Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth).

But the law doesn’t define a set period of time for repair and parts availability, only that manufacturers will make repair facilities and spare parts available for a reasonable amount of time.

So, like the duration of your statutory warranty which has an undefined duration in law, what is reasonable for parts supply depends on what was sold, how much it was sold for and what the consumers expectations are. Such things are at play a part here which is why it’s muddied.

In my view and expectations as a purchaser, the fact Holden was selling commodores with a 7 year factory factory warranties must play some part in what is reasonable. As an average John Citizen, I would expect parts would still be available for some time after the vehicle factory warranty expires as it would be unreasonable to see expensive products like motor vehicles unsupported post factory warranty. The question then becomes what would a reasonable period post factory warranty where the consumer can expect parts supply? It may indeed be reasonable to expect parts should be available for another period equal to the factory warranty duration. If that’s the case, parts supply should exist for 14 years… :p

The fact Holden has stated parts and service would be provided for 10 years post factory closure doesn’t mean their obligations cease… that’s for a court to determine… And if parts aren’t provided, such opens up the prospect t of major fault classification and purchase price refunds :eek:

Really, it’s in everyone’s interest, especially Holden, that their spare part last time buys and stock levels are appropriate to support their vehicles going forward. If Holden foobared their estimates and/or dumped stock to 3rd parties (cause where housing cost savings) then they may pay a high price (at least on paper via a court order)…

Me, I don’t want such hassles so sometimes think I should bail on Holden and sell my MSE… until I take her out for another drive :cool:

PS: and like statutory warranty, the obligation ultimately rests with the seller so OEM suppliers to Holden closing shop doesn‘t really play into it (in law)…

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
PS: sure it’s been mentioned but build plate lists transmission RPO which should identify what transmission was installed at the factory…
Ahh, yes, that is the simple bit. I have put that in another thread
But ACDelco RPO identify MK2 as being a manual transmission.
I am being a smartRZ by asking Holden what it is, as it is not a manual. I think it is a 4L65E, but I want an 'official' reply. Ho, Ho, bloody HO.