Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
No

Not sure. But I think it's more than just the struts. I've driven my MSE fast through the the Adelaide Hils with another MSE and a
Director. The Director certainly had no problem on the corners and bends. It handled awesome. Out of interest I have read in some online articles that Holden did a fantastic job of tuning the MRC for the MSE and Director. One said they had done a better job than HSV. Rightly or wrongly.
I've driven plenty of VF2 Redlines and it's chalk and cheese between them and the MSE. As g9odbas the Redlinen8s, the MSE is streets ahead.
@PSISLE or @supercoach what are your thoughts?

Yes I can tell a difference between my Redline and MSE, both wear 20" wheels. The MSE feels more stiff and upright when cornering, where the redline feels like it gives abit, the MSE feels like it is on rails. Other things are the MSE is quicker off the mark then the redline, because of a retune from factory to give the power down low, rather then the redline which offers it mid range. Also the springs are very soft on the MSE, If I back out of the drive way then hit the brakes just as I am over the curb, the rear end bounces heaps, but I guess this has something to do with the MRC.

I would recommend the MSE over the Redline if your budget could stretch.

DJ_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II. SS V Redline
independent professional reviewer's

I don't know that a guy with a YouTube channel can automatically be classed as professional or independent. But for the sake of argument assume he is.

is the professional driver and team at Ignition didn't turn the knob to Track before setting up the metrics?

Who knows what setting. They don't say. They also don't say how much fuel they had on board, temperature, age of the vehicles, tyre age etc. etc. etc. A one off run around a track says nothing unless you have all of the variables.

Without any kind of controlled comparisons it is all a bit meaningless.

Logically, if the MRC can be set at the same setting (FE3) and go beyond that to a stiffer setting then the track times will be quicker.

Car and driver magazine (December 2014) rates the 2015 Chev SS as quicker than the 2014 and their 2017 model test rates it quicker again. Nether though do track times but then any time is largely irrelevant unless they are tested on the same day under exactly the same conditions.

None of the tests state which MRC mode was used, how the car is tuned for the US market and of course none of them have the different subframe suspension set-up of the MSE.

Because the MRC is totally different to a normal shock absorber, like digital versus analogue.

I think that is a big leap in comparisons. Functionally a shock absorber is a shock absorber. How is it totally different?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Logically, if the MRC can be set at the same setting (FE3) and go beyond that to a stiffer setting then the track times will be quicker.
Assuming stiffer (compression and rebound) will result in faster track times... logically yes. But I doubt that's the case in practicality.

Car and driver magazine (December 2014) rates the 2015 Chev SS as quicker than the 2014 and their 2017 model test rates it quicker again.
I have looked for the Car and Driver December 2014 comparison 2014 vs 2015 and a rated result, can you provide a link to that and the additional comparison to the 2017, thanks.

I think that is a big leap in comparisons. Functionally a shock absorber is a shock absorber. How is it totally different?
So you would like me to explain how the two systems vary? That's easily found online, there's a good youtube video by Engineering Explained. A shock absorber's effectiveness does vary greatly from one setting to another, never mind brand, type, and design purpose.

Simply put in performance terms, MRC technology is not what GM use on any of its track specials or in racing applications.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Other things are the MSE is quicker off the mark then the redline, because of a retune from factory to give the power down low, rather then the redline which offers it mid range.
It is not a different mode for Engine Operation, rather Electronic Throttle Control. "Track" mode uses Map C - Sport/Tow for desired throttle.
Three maps come with the stock tune or you can set your custom map within reason. Dangerous coz limp mode I've found.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
But objectively, from an independent professional reviewer's data it's not faster with MRC, so what you are proposing is the professional driver and team at Ignition didn't turn the knob to Track before setting up the metrics? Perhaps, but the comment is mirrored by owners of 2014 and 2015 on the US SSforums.com as well.
Would be interested to hear that the MRC in Track mode actually performs as well as FE3 because the weight of data (track times) and user opinion (from the owner website) is that MRC is a decent system and comfortable but not as capable on the track.
Maybe. But it is far far superior to my Redline with FE3, even just in sport mode. Albeit it's a VF. It's also at least as capable as the Magnum with no MRC from all reports.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Australian MRC tune was totality different than the US MRC tune
Correct. As I have mentioned before on this topic. Also as I've said before, I've driven both and the Motorsport is superior. Hands down.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Assuming stiffer (compression and rebound) will result in faster track times... logically yes. But I doubt that's the case in practicality.

I have looked for the Car and Driver December 2014 comparison 2014 vs 2015 and a rated result, can you provide a link to that and the additional comparison to the 2017, thanks.

So you would like me to explain how the two systems vary? That's easily found online, there's a good youtube video by Engineering Explained. A shock absorber's effectiveness does vary greatly from one setting to another, never mind brand, type, and design purpose.

Simply put in performance terms, MRC technology is not what GM use on any of its track specials or in racing applications.
C7?
https://www.google.com.au/amp/gmaut...de-control-calibrations-for-c7-corvettes/amp/