Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
magazines should have some level of independence otherwise any review they publish must be considered with suspicion.
I agree, however I don't see how they could independently verify a sales number for the LEs.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I agree, however I don't see how they could independently verify a sales number for the LEs.
Our sate registration authorities have numbers for vehicle make, model, colors, engine type, etc but one can't ask them for such details as i'm sure they'd claim privacy reasons (being the go to reason whenever any authority or buisiness can't be bothered). But any reporter worth his salt would try and independantly verify some details and not just be an extension to a company's PR department.

But i'm not stressed really as i've not put much weight in what any manufacturer, sales person or magazine stated. However, this is the first time i've been duped by the 'all gone' mantra sung by one and all and it has cost me more than should have been the case.

Still, over the life of the car, the extra i payed will be insignificant to the depreciation i will suffer over the 7 year warranty period :rolleyes:

Time to go for a drive ;)

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
The motoring publications are the whores of the vehicle industry, Remember, these were the same mob that continually published how the special editions were sold out within months of release. So, the reasons for what and why they publish some article may not always be apparent. But you can't trust a whore.

PS: I have a nitrite MSE as i couldn't find any Directors since either they were sold out or, later when they suddenly became available, dealers were asking stupid prices.
I think it was more like weeks than months. Might have even been days. Very annoying.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
Day was run by Drive Events. http://www.driveevents.com.au/
Officially timing was not allowed but we were able to use a GPS app to measure our times. I was doing 2:06 times fairly consistently, not bad for my first time and with road tyres. The GTS-R with slicks that was beating me said he was doing 2:02 lap times for reference.
Day was run by Drive Events. http://www.driveevents.com.au/
Officially timing was not allowed but we were able to use a GPS app to measure our times. I was doing 2:06 times fairly consistently, not bad for my first time and with road tyres. The GTS-R with slicks that was beating me said he was doing 2:02 lap times for reference.

first time poster here and after reading the above post thought i should comment as these times cannot be right, 2.06 is a very slow time at this track, 2.02 for a gtsr on slicks is not right either.
lap times for a hq holden race cars running stock 202s engines and three speed box are around 2.02-04,
lap times for the gtsr should be at least 1.50 to 1.55 even with a low skilled driver.
something's not right with the times.
its best to join a club like piarc and take part in club sprints, for newcomers they have breaks in the day where a experienced race driver will take you around the track in your own car, showing you racing lines , braking points ect at no cost to you.
they also have flagies and proper a timing system with your times and that of others printed out during day so there's no guesswork
i would encourage anyone considering track days to join piarc ,the help and advice given is more than worth the membership fee

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
first time poster here and after reading the above post thought i should comment as these times cannot be right, 2.06 is a very slow time at this track, 2.02 for a gtsr on slicks is not right either.
lap times for a hq holden race cars running stock 202s engines and three speed box are around 2.02-04,
lap times for the gtsr should be at least 1.50 to 1.55 even with a low skilled driver.
something's not right with the times.
its best to join a club like piarc and take part in club sprints, for newcomers they have breaks in the day where a experienced race driver will take you around the track in your own car, showing you racing lines , braking points ect at no cost to you.
they also have flagies and proper a timing system with your times and that of others printed out during day so there's no guesswork
i would encourage anyone considering track days to join piarc ,the help and advice given is more than worth the membership fee

I just had a quick look and found this site: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/phillip-island
There are some very nice cars driven by professional racing drivers doing 1:55ish laps.
You need to keep in mind we aren't professionals and we're driving our own road cars with traffic on the track.
If you look at this site, it suggests that low 2 minute times from a non-professional driver are actually very competitive.
I bet if I handed my keys to Warren Luff he'd get a much better time after driving 1000s of laps.

paroharo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom Director
Interesting read. Mine is 1 of 54. Then there's the other options e.g. large rear wing, to separate them further.
https://www.motormag.com.au/news/1802/holden-commodore-limited-edition-build-numbers-revealed
Nitrate Director is even rarer again

From the link, regarding Directors:
"Then it was a sizeable drop to the other two colours, with Phantom Black next at 43 or 11.9 per cent of the production, coming ahead of the rarest colour – for the third time in a row – Nitrate Silver with 43 units produced at 11.9 per cent."

Hmm... with the figures given, the reasoning that Phantom comes ahead of Nitrate seems a bit off

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
I just had a quick look and found this site: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/phillip-island
There are some very nice cars driven by professional racing drivers doing 1:55ish laps.
You need to keep in mind we aren't professionals and we're driving our own road cars with traffic on the track.
If you look at this site, it suggests that low 2 minute times from a non-professional driver are actually very competitive.
I bet if I handed my keys to Warren Luff he'd get a much better time after driving 1000s of laps.

i am not knocking your time just that they are not correct, the piarc sprints are not for professional racing car drivers with most cars being driven to the track and on road tyres.
i suggest you compare recent piarc sprint meetings to your times your times. times for sprints are available on line
a stock ssv ls3 redline on a good road tyre will do 1.54s driven to and from the track and no luff behind the wheel
even a 125cc go cart goes round 2.02
how could someone do a 2.02 lap in a gtsr with slicks, somethings wrong with the timing or were they driving in reverse or something

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
i am not knocking your time just that they are not correct, the piarc sprints are not for professional racing car drivers with most cars being driven to the track and on road tyres.
i suggest you compare recent piarc sprint meetings to your times your times. times for sprints are available on line
a stock ssv ls3 redline on a good road tyre will do 1.54s driven to and from the track and no luff behind the wheel
even a 125cc go cart goes round 2.02
how could someone do a 2.02 lap in a gtsr with slicks, somethings wrong with the timing or were they driving in reverse or something

All good, I'm not being defensive I'm genuinely curious as I want to go back and an accurate indication of what I should be doing would be useful.

Can you link some PIARC times? I've spent 10 minutes on the website, which looks and functions like it was made in 1995, and can't find anything useful.

YouTube is full of videos though when I search PIARC so that's been a better source. I watched a few videos of the guys doing 1:55s and I can certainly see I have a lot of room for improvement ;)

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
You can find some times on the Victorian supersprint championship page http://www.vssc.com.au/home/results-2017/
Not necessarily a great guide though as there is no indication of modifications. My brother appears in many of the results with dedicated race cars (Datsun 1600, Honda Civic) and also at times road cars (Nissan Pulsar, Nissan S14) over the years. Point being, looking at the results, you wouldn't know the cars spec.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
You can find some times on the Victorian supersprint championship page http://www.vssc.com.au/home/results-2017/
Not necessarily a great guide though as there is no indication of modifications. My brother appears in many of the results with dedicated race cars (Datsun 1600, Honda Civic) and also at times road cars (Nissan Pulsar, Nissan S14) over the years. Point being, looking at the results, you wouldn't know the cars spec.

Yeah the YouTube videos are pretty poor with that as well.
Regardless it's a good guide to know once I go back with better tyres and push the car a bit more with better lines I have quite a bit of improvement to aim for :)